Why isn't there more digitally controlled analog stuff?

Started by marcelomd, July 16, 2019, 09:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Quote from: Ripthorn on July 18, 2019, 03:48:01 PM
I've got couple just such projects that I am finishing up that I will be posting full documentation on. No reason to be scared, there are so many great resources now!
Looking forward to seeing some of those!
  • SUPPORTER

pruttelherrie

Quote from: Ben N on July 18, 2019, 05:30:13 AM
After putting some thought into making a digitally controlled analog overdrive with MIDI input (PC), I saw [urlhttps://www.elektron.se/products/analog-drive/]these[/url] on blowout and ordered one. (Don't have it yet.) I expect it to knock 3-4 dirtboxes off my board.
Check out the TC Electronic Nova Drive, pretty cheap second hand.

Ben N

I had looked at the Nova, but the Elektron seemed to have better tones and be more intuitive to use, plus you can't beat $99 for a brand new MIDI analog drive with eight different circuits. I got one of the last ones around before they entirely disappeared from the market.
  • SUPPORTER

pruttelherrie

Oh wow, didn't know you got it for $99. Interesting pedal and a good deal!

dschwartz

The elektron for $99....
Sounds pretty sad to me...i was dreaming on making a digitally controlled driveMaker but this is a clear signal that the market won't care for it.
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

toneman

Ever hear of the Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 synthesizer? Analog chips Digital multiplexing. 
Now it's Dave Smith Electronics.  Same 3320 VCFs.
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Ben N

Quote from: dschwartz on July 19, 2019, 06:37:10 PM
The elektron for $99....
Sounds pretty sad to me...i was dreaming on making a digitally controlled driveMaker but this is a clear signal that the market won't care for it.
I don't think you should necessarily draw that conclusion. Elektron had discontinued the product and was either pushing a newer replacement or getting out of pedals altogether (not sure which), so this doesn't necessarily mean there is no market. This was always a sideline for them, not really their market. BTW, decibel 11 also got out of the digital-controlled-analog business, but their products were really not as good, and they were taken over.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: toneman on July 20, 2019, 11:26:15 PM
Ever hear of the Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 synthesizer? Analog chips Digital multiplexing. 
Now it's Dave Smith Electronics.  Same 3320 VCFs.

No, it isn't! It's "Sequential" again! Dave Smith bought the name back off Yamaha. It's getting hard to keep up, I know...even in the old days, Sequential Circuits was originally "Sequential Circuits", and then just "Sequential". And then it folded, and Dave smith went to Korg, and a few other places, and then started Dave Smith Instruments (DSI). And now DSI is "Sequential" again.

https://www.sequential.com/