PLEASE HELP Octafuzz, Octavix ATTACK VOLUME DROP

Started by grimwolfmcquade, August 01, 2019, 09:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimwolfmcquade

Hello all, sorry if this is too vague or nonsensical, I just really want any information I can obtain;

Both the Fulltone Octafuzz and EHX Octavix experience this signal/volume drop the harder you hit a note and/or play notes in quick succession.

What component can I remove or switch to fix this issue? I don't even use the OCTAVE feature on these pedals, I just really love their fuzz tone and that's what I want to utilize. If I took the transformer out of the equation what would happen? Obviously I know nothing about guts, but if you say 'remove Q1' I think I can navigate thru that. Again, if your suggestion removes the Octave function, I am 100% OK with that.

Please. Any sort of help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I haven't found any other fuzzes I love as much as these two pedals and their 2 knob simplicity is perfect. It's just that d@mn attack issue that ruins everything.

antonis

Quote from: grimwolfmcquade on August 01, 2019, 09:18:54 AM
If I took the transformer out of the equation what would happen?
If you took out rectifying diodes, too you'll have a nice 'n clear fuzz.. :icon_wink:
(in such a case, a 100k Volume pot should be more appropriate..)

edit: Welcome..!!
(did I catch the time for not slapping my hands, Stephen..??) :icon_redface:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

grimwolfmcquade

so just to be clear if i remove that transformer the pedal will still work and perhaps fix that attack issue?

really i have no qualms testing the removal of the transformer, provided it won't stop the pedal from working

antonis

You don't actually have to remove the transformer & respective diodes..

Just short transformer's primary winding "hot" wire (the one which receives signal from last transistor collector cap) with diodes cathodes node..

(although, it should be more wise to do it with a DPDT switch wired such as when shorting octave configuration simultaneously opening primary winding grounding..)

Or just by-pass transformer with a SPDT switch between out cap & Volume pot upper lug..

Or anything else more convenient to you.. :icon_wink:
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

grimwolfmcquade

ok, so... i removed that transformer annnnnnnnd the pedal no longer works  :-\... what are my options? i can prob replace the transformer, but then i'll be back at square 1. is there a way to make the pedal work again with the missing transformer?

grimwolfmcquade

you can obviously see the missing transformer... what are my options for fixing this pedal and eliminating that awful attack drop issue?

antonis

You've probaly simply removed the transformer without any other mod..  :icon_wink:

Remove diode pair too (or leave them as they are - they don't play any role in circuit anymore due to "open" anodes..)

Trace Q3 Collector electro cap (33μF or so..) "open" leg (the one previously connected to transformer primary winding) and connect it, with a short wire, to Volume pot lug 3 (the one connected with diode pair cathodes..)

aelling

Quote from: grimwolfmcquade on August 02, 2019, 10:21:31 PM

you can obviously see the missing transformer... what are my options for fixing this pedal and eliminating that awful attack drop issue?
Wow, what you should've done is posted a picture of the board in the first place, then we could've seen that disconnecting the octave toggle switch would be enough. Too late now.

grimwolfmcquade

so if i replace the transformer and then simply remove the toggle switch, then the attack issue will go away and i will still have that non-octave fuzz sound?

aelling

Quote from: grimwolfmcquade on August 03, 2019, 01:39:08 PM
so if i replace the transformer and then simply remove the toggle switch, then the attack issue will go away and i will still have that non-octave fuzz sound?
Sorry, I thought the problem was when the octave was engaged, if you had the issue with the octave off then replacing won't work. But from looking at that picture, if you move the wire from lug 3 of the volume pot I think to the upper(/or lower, can't tell for sure) solder joint of the transformers secondary legs, the one above(/or below) the S, see if that works.

grimwolfmcquade

yep thank you for your help and the other persons as well, that doesn't make the pedal work again. the attack issue may be unavoidable, as i feel it is inherent with the diodes :(

grimwolfmcquade

sorry i meant it DOES make the pedal work again