News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

FV-1 Autotune

Started by nickbungus, August 02, 2019, 10:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickbungus

Hi All.

I'm enjoying playing with the FV-1 for guitar but was thinking of building our singer something using the chip. 

I'm just in the infancy of my DSP journey but was wondering if Autotune could be achieved with the FV-1?   (I'm not saying hes a bad singer, I was actually thinking of myself as my backing vocals are so dodgy)
To the extreme, I rock a mic like a vandal.
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.

potul

I don't think so. To do autotune I guess you need some kind of phase vocoding technique and pitch tracking. This is done in the frequency domain (using FFT and similar), something the FV-1 is not able to do.

ElectricDruid

Perhaps we can come up with something a bit more basic the FV-1 could handle? Like a "junkyard autotune"?

It'll do pitch shift, so that's ok. Assume that you're within a semitone up or down of the correct pitch (if not, you probably sing like I do). Use the human ear for the "pitch tracking" part, and then add a pedal to allow you to pitchbend the incoming vocal up or down to the correct pitch. Who knows? It might even work! Of course, it won't make you sound like The Weeknd or whoever which is what most people want autotune for, but it might be interesting. Singers aren't used to having a pitch bender available (whereas keyboard players have had them for 40 years and guitarists have been waggling their whammy bars for longer still).

gena_p1

sound will be bad.
more semitones pitch shifting - worse sound

FV-1 use "microsampling" technique for pitch shifting and  "cross fading"  (kind of tremolo ) for declicking.
So , vocal will  sound tremoly  and to smooth it, usually  a lot of reverb is used.
So, you will get a vocal synth as result