colorsound flanger

Started by 1878, September 28, 2019, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone

Could anyone help with this please. I'm trying to rewire the power section on my colorsound flanger. It had a 240v power cable with a transformer fitted to it when I first got it and although it worked, I NEVER felt comfortable with that set up.

I can see where the battery snaps are meant to be attached, but there's a power socket wired in too. I have never seen this type of socket before and I was hoping that someone here would be able to say, 'yeah, it's this.' or let me know of an alternative. Here's the link...

http://www.studio1525.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image_additional&pID=2657&pic=5&products_image_large_additional=images/Studio1525-5-5-2015-004_6.jpg&zenid=QPFJ0nfWFYXNS2awgUjzG2

I'm unsure if it's 18v or +/-.

Thanks everyone.

Govmnt_Lacky

The fact that it takes 2 9V batteries tells me that it is supposed to be an 18V power input.

Based on the pics, it looks like the power jack is an older style 3.5mm jack.

Beyond that, I am unsure exactly what you are looking to do. Replace the power jack?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Sorry. Should've been more specific.

I'm replacing the battery connectors and power jack. The old power jack was removed so the 3 core cable could be fed through the hole. The battery connectors were also missing.

I have the newer power sockets with three lugs. Would it just be a case of trial and error with the earth and 2 live lugs?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: 1878 on September 28, 2019, 03:54:49 PM
Sorry. Should've been more specific.

I'm replacing the battery connectors and power jack. The old power jack was removed so the 3 core cable could be fed through the hole. The battery connectors were also missing.

I have the newer power sockets with three lugs. Would it just be a case of trial and error with the earth and 2 live lugs?

It would be relatively easy... as long as you have built other effects with a 9V battery snap in the past.

You would do the same thing here EXCEPT... you would connect one of the battery snap positive (Red) wires directly to the other battery snap's negative (Black) wire. Essentially, this puts both batteries in series and makes the output 18V.

Just connect the left over Red wire to its proper connection on the NEW DC jack. Connect the left over Black wire to the RING connection on the Stereo Input jack.

EDIT: Just looked again and I see there is no stereo jack for the input. So, lets focus on the DC jack in the picture you posted.

You will need to identify where the power goes into the PCB and where the GND goes as well. Perhaps a pic of your pedal will help.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Thanks for the reply. I think I've figured it out with your help. It's been a while since I've fired up the iron and I've forgotten stuff!!

I'll try to find a power jack which will fit the existing hole rather than drilling it out to fit the ones I have. I will wire everything up tomorrow though with one of the bigger DC jacks I have currently.

If I'm honest, I dont care if everything is original as long as it works.

I can see where everything is suppose to go, but I'm unsure how the three connections on the power jack in the photo relate to the power jack I have. That shouldn't take too long to figure out though.

I shall report back ASAP.

Thanks again.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: 1878 on September 28, 2019, 04:20:45 PM
I can see where everything is suppose to go, but I'm unsure how the three connections on the power jack in the photo relate to the power jack I have. That shouldn't take too long to figure out though.

3 connections. Battery Power +, PCB Power +, and PCB GND. Just need to figure out which of the pink wires (in the pic) are PCB GND and which is PCB Power +..... the rest is downhill from there!

Good Luck  :D

Total silence when engaged.

I've only run it on 2x new batteries because I'm unsure what polarity it is!?!? I'm hoping to get an hour or two with it this week & it looks like I'll have to get the audio probe & DMM on it for further investigations.

I shall report back.

Scruffie

DON'T try and guess polarity, I really doubt that it has any form of polarity protection and that could kill it.

It's based off the electric mistress so yes it takes +18V DC.

If you post a picture of the trace side of the board it should be possible to work out which connections are which.

Edit: Partial schematic for you http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v707/leonhendrix/cs1.jpg

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried powering it with anything other than batteries up until now. I also know the battery snaps are wired correctly which is a good starting point.

Incidentally, on the photograph it shows the red+ wire of one of the battery snaps connected to the black- wire of the other. That leaves a black wire and a red wire. Am I right in thinking this is how it works...

Red & Black: Don't know best way to describe it. Bridge!?!?
Red: 18v
Black: Ground

Apologies for the basic questions. I've never dealt with this before and I don't want to fry anything. What I'm thinking is try to get it working without the dc socket first, just the batteries. I can then substitute the battery snaps for a dc jack once I know it's up and running.

I think it may be best to add polarity protection too!!

Thanks again.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: 1878 on September 30, 2019, 02:26:32 PM
Incidentally, on the photograph it shows the red+ wire of one of the battery snaps connected to the black- wire of the other. That leaves a black wire and a red wire. Am I right in thinking this is how it works...

Red & Black: Don't know best way to describe it. Bridge!?!?
Red: 18v
Black: Ground

Addressed this in my second reply in this thread.

Short answer is.... Yes, you are correct.