Minisågverket: A simple metal distortion project

Started by Fancy Lime, August 17, 2019, 02:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

Quote from: Fancy Lime on February 02, 2021, 04:59:12 AM
Damn autocorrect does not know greek names. I keep accidentally calling my friend Petros "Pedro"

This autosmell has to be in your browser. In mine, if I notice an embarrassment, I carefully spell it correctly, right-click the red-lined "error", and "Add to Dictionary".

(Which opens the problem of accidental entries. It is actually possible to find and edit FireFox's user dictionary.)

• SUPPORTER

iainpunk

QuoteI keep accidentally calling my friend Petros "Pedro" in text messages.
is it the same Petros that still has my copy of Das Kapital?
probably not tho,

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

Fancy Lime

Quote from: PRR on February 02, 2021, 11:16:11 PM
Quote from: Fancy Lime on February 02, 2021, 04:59:12 AM
Damn autocorrect does not know greek names. I keep accidentally calling my friend Petros "Pedro"

This autosmell has to be in your browser. In mine, if I notice an embarrassment, I carefully spell it correctly, right-click the red-lined "error", and "Add to Dictionary".

(Which opens the problem of accidental entries. It is actually possible to find and edit FireFox's user dictionary.)

It's my phone's keyboard autocorrect. I got my real computer under control, so there are no "helpful" features there that tell me that they know better what I want to write than I do myself. Alas, phone operating systems are the bloody worst and are not designed with users in mind who are not complete and utter morons. I should probably invest some time figuring out how to stop my phone from being "helpful".

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

Liaztraht

Haven't had time to get the materials to try etching a board, mostly because I can't afford a darn laser printer! I did a test print on one at work, but the toner smudged in transit.

So I started teaching myself Diptrace, and I put the same layout in there. Also corrected the pin 3 to ground in the schematic, that way I had the rats nest to help.

I set it up for use with standard box caps, and it should still fit in a 1590b.

I have the Gerber files if anyone wants it. Its not confirmed yet, but I am willing to take the plunge as I am thinking of doing an Oshpark order.

Axldeziak

Quote from: Liaztraht on February 05, 2021, 03:18:49 AM
I have the Gerber files if anyone wants it.

Of course we want the gerbers! Yes, please.

Liaztraht

Quote from: Axldeziak on February 05, 2021, 08:47:49 AM
Quote from: Liaztraht on February 05, 2021, 03:18:49 AM
I have the Gerber files if anyone wants it.

Of course we want the gerbers! Yes, please.

What site would you recommend to host the file? preferably free.

Axldeziak

You could try mega.nz.
Alot of folks here also use google drives.

Liaztraht

Quote from: Axldeziak on February 05, 2021, 09:07:53 PM
You could try mega.nz.
Alot of folks here also use google drives.

Thanks. I have to make a small adjustment first. Can't upload to OSHPark due to the symbol above the a on the silk screen layer.

Will get it done after work.

I am also making a BOM with Smallbear SKUs for easy reference for those that can shop there.

Liaztraht

Here is the gerber files and the BOM list. Gerbs already zipped, PDf has BOM, notation, and a screenshot from GerbV for reference.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1M7gnFbSkOF3aY4hnYsAvJQjC0BE7sCom?usp=sharing

Hopefully I set up the link correctly.

Also flipped the CHUG pads around. I had it upside down.

Liaztraht

Here is the OSH Park link to the shared file as well https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MBCDaL2J

I also placed the Diptrace Schem in the google drive link with everything, and did a slight update to all files as I made the board a hair narrower.

And the rendering of said board:

Liaztraht

Got an oshpark order in of my layout. They flipped the chug pads around, which works because they way I had it the chug pot worked backwards  :o

It's darker, more gated, and a little less gainy than the original example. Could be because of the tl072 maybe? Or perhaps because I was running it into a darkish Marshall Origin...

Either way, at low volume, into a dirty amp with the knobs maxed, or boosted by my SD1, I was getting buzz saw tones. It needs a kick in the pants, or to slam an amp to get there. With the chug down low, it is more of a gated overdrive.

Not sure if changing components other than the chip will help. Too much pushing the front end and stuff gets crazy and splatty. Pretty sure it's just overloading.

Either way, it's cool that my first PCB layout actually works!

I'm going to get loud in the AM and see if it's just the late night volume making it sound off.