anybody got a couple DEAD SAD1024's?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, August 18, 2019, 09:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

was chatting with a guy who makes the 24 pin cables for old greco roland gr guitar synths... and he told me of some new kind of chip... well, new being relative, they've been around for years but apparently are now down to about 2 bux a whack.
waiting on email for the name of the specific chip, but he claims that you can program ANY analog circuit into this digital chip, and use it to replace unobtanium chips. seems to me this would be an ideal candidate to mess with.
so.... looking for donations if possible of dead chips. we wanna send them to some of his geekier friends who do this kind of stuff, use acid to dissolve away the substrate and hopefully be able to recreate the actual circuit, digitally. weird, or what?

anybody heard of any stuff like this? seems to me, if there were a way to recreate this archaic chip, there'd be thousands of grateful flangers and things that could live again, and maybe dino and phil could cook up a clone of the dynaflanger that zappa used.. i still have the schematics for it, and the gent who designed it had poked in on the convo years ago when i posted them here.

i had some dead ones, but didn't keep them, unfortunately. and the last good one i had from tony years ago went into a ross flanger if memory serves.

so... anybody got any dead ones in a junk drawer somewhere they would be willing to donate to the cause?

rock on
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

highwater

On a related note, these guys have a whole slew of pictures of decapped chips, and their website suggests that they're open to requests if you provide them with the chips. Mostly digital chips and oddball transistors, but there are more than a few that are of interest to us (301, 3207), and a few comparisons of fakes vs. the real thing.
"I had an unfortunate combination of a very high-end medium-size system, with a "low price" phono preamp (external; this was the decade when phono was obsolete)."
- PRR

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: highwater on August 18, 2019, 10:38:27 PM
On a related note, these guys have a whole slew of pictures of decapped chips, and their website suggests that they're open to requests if you provide them with the chips. Mostly digital chips and oddball transistors, but there are more than a few that are of interest to us (301, 3207), and a few comparisons of fakes vs. the real thing.

most excellent linkage, thanks highwater! i will check it out... i'd love to get these things resurrected!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

MrStab

interesting stuff! i can't be bothered for all these videogame console remakes, but the principle of these chips reminds me of how (in my limited understanding) FPGA chips are used to create more accurate clones than emulation. i wonder how much the chips Jimi describes have in common with the FPGA approach.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

Govmnt_Lacky

Hey Pink! You might want to contact Scruffie. I am sure he could hook you up with some dead Reticons  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: MrStab on August 19, 2019, 12:30:48 PM
interesting stuff! i can't be bothered for all these videogame console remakes, but the principle of these chips reminds me of how (in my limited understanding) FPGA chips are used to create more accurate clones than emulation. i wonder how much the chips Jimi describes have in common with the FPGA approach.

grant, that's it!!! he's one of them video gamer guys, i couldn't remember what they were called, but FPGA is it.
i know nothing about them at all, thanks for figuring it out, still waiting to hear back from the chap who told me about them.

i gotta do some research... probably useless at my present pay grade, but worth a shot!!

govmnt lackey you bet i will ask scruff! good call!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Scruffie

I always return the dead chip to the owner when I do repairs so think that I've only got a half dead chip which is still usable so I'd want more info before I parted with it...

I'll have a look though, possible there's one lying in the pile.

pinkjimiphoton

it may not even be necessary, scruff, i think the data sheets for the 1024 have the schematic in them for it. maybe not with values for passives, but...

heard from andre, def FPGA. preliminary peek at it looks interesting!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Ben N

Scruffie,

These folks take degooping to a whole 'nother level!
  • SUPPORTER