News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Amp help pls

Started by ReeceAblaze, August 21, 2019, 07:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReeceAblaze

Hello everyone I just got a second hand AC30. The one problem is that the power and standby LEDs have sunken into the case. How safe/easy would it be to open it and put them back in their slots?
Fuzz is all you need!

vigilante397

How easy is it? Very.

How safe is it? How much experience to you have being inside tube amps?

Congrats on getting a killer amp secondhand though 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 21, 2019, 07:42:24 PM
How easy is it? Very.

How safe is it? How much experience to you have being inside tube amps?

Congrats on getting a killer amp secondhand though 8)

Is it as easy as pushing them into where they came from?

And I have no experience in tube amps. But someone has told me the LEDs are close to the power section. I wanna fix the issue because I can't see either light and its bugging me but I dont wanna die or get hurt over it lol
Fuzz is all you need!

duck_arse

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 21, 2019, 07:42:24 PM

How safe is it? .....
.... a killer amp .....

perhaps could be worded better.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

vigilante397

Step 1: Turn off the amp

Step 2: Unplug the amp

Step 3: Wait for a while (have a drink, watch some TV, etc.) for the caps to discharge

Step 4: If you own a multimeter check the filter caps for voltage (just to be safe)

Step 5: Take the screws off the back panel

Because of how they mount the chassis vertically you should be able to see the entire circuit at this point, so you should be able to see the LEDs. The leads may be bent so you may have to bend them back to stay in place with needle-nose pliers or similar.

Step 6: Take pictures ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

willienillie

Quote from: vigilante397 on August 22, 2019, 11:52:08 AM
Step 3: Wait for a while (have a drink, watch some TV, etc.) for the caps to discharge

Does this version have bleeder (voltage divider) resistors?  I only have schematics for old AC30s.  You can use a jumper wire from a preamp plate resistor to ground, flip the standby switch on, safe in a minute or so.

mth5044

Never assume the caps are discharged. Read up on tube amp safety. Sunken LEDs would be a real shitty reason to get shocked or electrocuted. If you don't feel comfortable, get someone else to do it.

ReeceAblaze

Quote from: mth5044 on August 23, 2019, 01:04:23 AM
Never assume the caps are discharged. Read up on tube amp safety. Sunken LEDs would be a real shitty reason to get shocked or electrocuted. If you don't feel comfortable, get someone else to do it.

I called a guy last night that does electrical repairs. He will be round to look at it today at some point
Fuzz is all you need!

iainpunk

yellow rubber cleaning gloves, thats all im going to say
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers