News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Kicad woes

Started by patrick398, August 22, 2019, 01:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick398

A new day, a new issue.

I've switched from Eagle to Kicad because i like being able to make custom shaped boards and import graphics into Kicad.

Just drawn up my first schematic with it, pretty intuitive but i can't for the life of me get past the ERC.
I'm getting the error messages: 'power pin is not driven' or words to that effect on my GND and VCC connections.
Seems to be a common problem and i've been trawling the net for hours trying to find a solution. Everyone keeps saying 'add power flags' which i've tried every which way but still can't get past the dam ERC.
I've edited the pins on the barrel jack so they are 'Power Output' but still no dice.

Any Kicad whizz-kids here that want to help a brother out?

PMowdes

Ask dex on the diystompboxes Facebook page he seems to know his way around Kicad.
www.deadendfx.com
www.instagram.com/deadendfx

Walto

Having multiple VCC power ports isn't enough to put them on the same net, so your power flag isn't seen by the net where the error is. I like to use global labels to connect power nets like this, but anything that connects them is OK.

bartimaeus

Like Walto said, you need to use global labels if you don't want to add a direct connection. I may be wrong, but it looks like you just have multiple pins with the same label/name, which isn't the same as them being connected or identical.

patrick398

Ahh i see, thanks very much. I'll give that a go :)

Fender3D

You must have "power" library loaded in your project, then select from there the labels you need.
Power library is a special library to manage power connections.
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

patrick398

I seemed to have worked around these the issues by using 'global labels' instead. Labels named GND are all connected to each other, same for VCC, VEE, etc. This makes a lot more sense to me but yet to be seen whether this will cause some problems for me down the line