Author Topic: 18V Electric Mistress PCB?  (Read 756 times)

Nostalgia

18V Electric Mistress PCB?
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:33:26 PM »
Hi anyone know where to get an 18v SAD1024A electric Mistress version PCB? Thank!

bettsaj

Re: 18V Electric Mistress PCB?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 06:59:20 AM »
As far as I know, there isn't one out there..... I know, I looked for about a year for one. I ended up being lucky enough to be able to buy an original pre-populated V2 PCB off a kind soul on the EHX forum. The only component it was missing was the SAD1024 chip, of which I had 2 sitting in a draw at the time.

When I received the PCB I was intending to trace it and create a PCB layout but never got around to it.... I ended up just stuffing a SAD chip into it and building the PCB into a Hammond case. To be honest, It's probably better to just copy the schematic into Eagle and create a brand new layout.... That would likely cut down on the noise these things suffer from.

I don't actually use the Mistress anymore, I find it too noisy with the rest of my rig, so have started using a Donner Jet Evolution instead.... It's not exactly the same but it gets me in the right ball park (I play in a Floyd tribute)

As I don't use it anymore I may at some point pull the PCB out of the case and trace it......
“My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

Nostalgia

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:56:20 PM »
The EM is one of my favorite effects ever and I just happen to have some NOS SAD1024A's laying around. I am not in anyway an electronic expert, just a hack DIY'er.  SO anyone with a Perf board EM layout to share would be awesome!

bettsaj

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 05:08:53 AM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:15:58 AM by bettsaj »
“My technique is laughable at times. I have developed a style of my own, I suppose, which creeps around. I'll never be a very fast guitar player."

DrAlx

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 06:15:27 AM »
You may find this of interest if you want a perfboard build ...

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=119933.msg1121331#msg1121331

Grab the pictures while you can because the TinyPic site that hosts those images is going to stop hosting images within a month.

EDIT: I just remembered that if you can download VeroRoute (my software for perf/vero/pcb layouts)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/veroroute/

then you wil find that "improved 18V EM" layout included in the "examples" folder, so you can use that to do a perf layout of your own.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:25:48 AM by DrAlx »

bettsaj

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »

EDIT: I just remembered that if you can download VeroRoute (my software for perf/vero/pcb layouts)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/veroroute/

then you wil find that "improved 18V EM" layout included in the "examples" folder, so you can use that to do a perf layout of your own.

I've just downloaded that myself..... Really good little software. I might even have a go at making a Mistress myself using this layout  :D

miketbass

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »
Just wanted to add that Ive been looking for this myself. A large lot of SAD1024 chips went up on the big auction site, I took a gamble and bought a few. I found a thread where someone had posted a tracing of an original unit but the image is lost to time. Would be really cool to build a repro of the original, but I have a '77 V2 nowadays to it would largely be for novelty sake. Ultimately any obsolete chip that resides in a DIY build will one day be called upon to repair a vintage unit if needed.

Nostalgia

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 02:22:03 PM »
Just wanted to add that Ive been looking for this myself. A large lot of SAD1024 chips went up on the big auction site, I took a gamble and bought a few. I found a thread where someone had posted a tracing of an original unit but the image is lost to time. Would be really cool to build a repro of the original, but I have a '77 V2 nowadays to it would largely be for novelty sake. Ultimately any obsolete chip that resides in a DIY build will one day be called upon to repair a vintage unit if needed.

Have you tested those batch of SAD1024's yet? I got a few from the same seller!

Nostalgia

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 02:43:51 PM »
Maybe we can do a group buy for a smaller version of the 18V EM PCB?