Author Topic: Aion Flare Kit - Beautiful Fuzz - Awful Squeal  (Read 1282 times)

Mistborne

Aion Flare Kit - Beautiful Fuzz - Awful Squeal
« on: August 21, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »
Hi all,

Just finished my Aion Electronics Flare (Fuzz Factory) and plugged it in. Pedal works beautifully - wonderful fuzz and sustain.

BUT - there is a high-pitched squeal present, and being someone an amateur, I'm not sure what may be causing it. Any suggestions on things I should check for?

I followed the Aion Documentation/schematic with no mods. It can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo40kkfnb9gug1l/aion-flare-fuzz-factory-documentation-v1.1.pdf?dl=1

Thanks to any who can help this pedal rookie.

antonis

Re: Aion Flare Kit - Beautiful Fuzz - Awful Squeal
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 06:02:56 AM »
Start populating transistors (from in to out) with 47 - 100 pF caps between Collectors and Bases..
(56 - 68 pF should be most reasonable values but they are strongly depended on particular transistors..)

If you manage to stop squealing with only one cap and simultaneously lower highs gain, try to "split" it in more stages with the use of lower value caps..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Mistborne

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »
Typically this is done on Q2 IIRC?

Mistborne

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 07:19:01 PM »
For what it's worth I am using germanium AC128s for Q2 and Q3, and not silicon transistors

antonis

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 06:16:18 AM »
Typically this is done on Q2 IIRC?

"Typically" this is done on 2nd stage of a 3 stage audio amplifier (VAS dominant-pole compensation) but fuzzes are (intentionally) far away from Good Designer Practice implementation..  :icon_wink:

For high pitch oscillation, NFB caps are the easiest/quickest/cheapest cure..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..