Harmonic Percolator + high output PUs = sag/compression

Started by jimladladlooklike, August 30, 2019, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimladladlooklike

So I've been messing about with my harmonic percolator build recently, changing part values etc. I've got it sounding decent with my tele. However, with my Westone Thunder it sounds... terrible. Little to none of that glorious, splatty fuzz. It just sounds like sag/compression. I've already lowered the pickups (super high output) quite a lot to get rid of his problem when using other distortions. I was wondering if there might be a mod I can do on the percolator that might fix this issue.

antonis

Maybe a High/Low jack switchable input..??
(like on most traditional amps..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

GGBB

Two things - the HP "harmonics" pot is actually nothing more than an input level adjustment. The Thunder is active (according to Google) and boosts the signal level considerably. So you could either turn the guitar volume down or turn the harmonics pot down.
  • SUPPORTER

jimladladlooklike

Quote from: antonis on August 30, 2019, 10:07:20 AM
Maybe a High/Low jack switchable input..??
(like on most traditional amps..)

So essentially making it possible to change the input impedance? Would that just be a case of upping the value of the input resistor? Which in this case I'm guessing is the harmonics pot?

jimladladlooklike

Quote from: GGBB on August 30, 2019, 07:24:26 PM
Two things - the HP "harmonics" pot is actually nothing more than an input level adjustment. The Thunder is active (according to Google) and boosts the signal level considerably. So you could either turn the guitar volume down or turn the harmonics pot down.

Some Thunders are active but mine isn't. However it is sooooper high output. I'm thinking a resistor in series with the harmonics pot might help attenuate the input level somewhat?

GGBB

Quote from: jimladladlooklike on October 07, 2019, 07:50:03 AM
I'm thinking a resistor in series with the harmonics pot might help attenuate the input level somewhat?

Effectively that's almost identical to turning down the harmonics pot / input volume - the only difference being there's more total resistance in the divider. It just prevents setting the pot to max level. So yes that would work just as well.

• SUPPORTER

garcho

Probably doesn't matter but I've built a number of HP and I would never think of calling any of them "splatty fuzz". More like a solid overdrive/distortion that doesn't ring-mod your thirds. Smooth comes to mind before splatty. Did you build the Giblet schematic version?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"