Bad Horsie 2 LED replacement parts

Started by Yuki, July 06, 2019, 12:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Hello...

When I got my Bad Horsie 2 Contour WAH, it worked fine for a few weeks and then no WAH sound.
I contacted Morely (which I can't seem to do these days!) and I told the tech REP that the circuit board had some surface rust on it and the red LED that sends the light to the optical receiver on the treadle was dead. He asked if I was good at soldering. I said I was, and he sent a replacement LED that, after cleaning the surface rust off, I soldered into place and it worked perfectly for a few more years until I closed my pedalboard and packed it away due to a back injury.
Recently, I decided to play again and it was the same problem...dead LED. I got an idea to test the WAH by aiming a flashlight with a red LED at the optical receiver while moving the treadle to see what happened.
It worked perfectly!
HOWEVER, it's not my flashlight to start with and I'd REALLY want to replace the LED with either an original part or an equivalent part.
After hours and days of trying to find SOMETHING that would tell me what the correct part number is, I'm completely frustrated! I can't find out what the part number and SPECS are to be able to order a replacement from the MANY places that sell inexpensive LEDs of all colors and sizes.

Q: Can ANYONE give me a URL to the correct part?
I'm on dial-up speeds where I live and it takes at least 2-3 minutes for a simple page to load, IF it doesn't have a lot of pics, if the wind is blowing from the right direction and the planets are in perfect alignment!
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. I love that WAH and can't afford to spend another $175 for a new one when I KNOW that it is just a simple, inexpensive LED that is the problem!
Besides, repairing things is 'the green thing to do'!
~Yuki~

Govmnt_Lacky

Hello Yuki and Welcome to the forum.

The chances are that the LED in question is just a typical Red diffused 5mm or 3mm LED. These can be purchased just about anywhere for very little cost. If I were you, I would measure the diameter of the broken LED and order some online or at a store. Tayda electronics delivers around the world and they are very low-cost with reasonable prices. See the link below.

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/round-leds/5mm-leds/red/led-5mm-red.html

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/leds/round-leds/3mm-leds/red/led-3mm-red.html
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'