Aion Flare Kit - Center-Positive or Center-Negative?

Started by Mistborne, August 20, 2019, 01:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mistborne

After reviewing documentation and getting ready to test my build, I'm trying to be sure I don't damage my completed product. Does the Aion Flare use a center-positive power supply or a center-negative?

Ben N

If you look at the schematic all the way to the right you will see that it is powered by +9v, same as most pedals. Also, in the very first paragraph of the build doc: "The Fuzz Factory is essentially a classic Fuzz Face with a LPB-1 booster in front of it, but with the twist that it uses PNP transistors running on +9V rather than -9V like a standard Fuzz Face." So the common way to wire the jack would be center negative. (Although in truth, how you wire the jack is arbitrary, following this convention will make it compatible with most other pedals and power supply cables.)
  • SUPPORTER

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

Ben N

Where ARE my manners?  :-\ Welcome, welcome, Mistborne! Here's to a long and fruitful membership.
  • SUPPORTER

j-pee

hi,

since this is a new topic, and it in essence deals with a beginners' dilemma -- center positive or center negative wiring of the DC socket -- I'd like you add a further question...

which, in the past 1 hour's time I happened to find an easy answer to :)

my problem was, of course, that using center negative wiring, in case of a +9v supply, would mean that
the box, the chassis has +9volts all over it... which can't be,
cause the signal input / output jacks would also connect to the chassis, with their grounds...

EDIT:
this problem is only a problem as long as you believe that there are only 2 types of DC sockets...
metal or boss type square+ushape
the former being unusable, the latter a big challenge...

BUT...
plastic round shape sockets do exist, too :)
of which possibility, stupidly enough, I didn't think... (just because the local stores in Budapest, Hungary, didn't have it :) )

so, instead of adding a question,
I'll make it a reminder...
that center negative is the standard...
which, in the case of a +9v circuit means that we have to use a PLASTIC socket :)
and that's it...
(I hope I didn't say anything wrong :))

Alas, I just see that these don't have switch connection...

does this socket actually exist in plastic, round shape, with a switch?

Ben N

• SUPPORTER