First dealings with SMD...

Started by patrick398, September 12, 2019, 03:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick398

Bought a pedal off the bay which was not working and thought i'd fix it up to resell. I'm not sure why but for some reason i really wasn't expecting it to be all SMD inside.

I had to sign a NDA to get a copy of the schematic so i probably shouldn't go into too much detail but i had a quick probe around inside earlier and noticed that there's 18v at the DC in (it's an 18v pedal) then on the other side of a 100R resistor it drops to 3.9v. That side of the resistor connects to a 220uf cap and a 1N4001 both going to ground. Then it's the input of a 15v regulator.

Question is, which is the most likely to have failed? My first thought was the 220u cap, but could also be the regulator no? There's 2.5v on the output of the regulator so it is dropping some voltage.

Or could it be that something has failed further down stream that is causing this massive voltage drop?

EBK

Is that 100R resistor toasty?  That would be nearly 2W power dissipated by it, wouldn't it?

Was 3.9 a typo? 

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

GuitarPhil

Diode could have been toasted if the wrong power supply polarity was connected? If it shorted out then that would explain the huge voltage drop across the 100 ohm resistor!

patrick398

Quote from: EBK on September 12, 2019, 04:23:51 PM
Is that 100R resistor toasty?  That would be nearly 2W power dissipated by it, wouldn't it?

Was 3.9 a typo?
No, not a typo  :icon_eek:
Trouble with smd is if i put one of my sausage fingers in there to check if it's hot i'll end up shorting about 11 components together haha.

Quote from: GuitarPhil on September 12, 2019, 04:41:55 PM
Diode could have been toasted if the wrong power supply polarity was connected? If it shorted out then that would explain the huge voltage drop across the 100 ohm resistor!

Yeah my first thought was that it had wrong polarity power. The guy i bought it off was pretty vague, just said it stopped working one day.
I guess the worry is that if it was the diode that got fried there's a good chance there's more damage downstream  :'(

j_flanders

Quote from: patrick398 on September 12, 2019, 06:06:22 PM
Trouble with smd is if i put one of my sausage fingers in there to check if it's hot i'll end up shorting about 11 components together haha.
Perhaps your DMM has a temperature function. Even my chinese cheap one does.

Rob Strand

Removed crap post.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

tubegeek

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

EBK

Quote from: Rob Strand on September 12, 2019, 06:21:45 PM
QuoteIs that 100R resistor toasty?  That would be nearly 2W power dissipated by it, wouldn't it?
It's only 150mW.
(18-3.9)2/100?
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Quote(18-3.9)2/100?
Ah, I've mis-read the first post.

Quoteto 3.9v.
"TO" 3.9V

So what I've said in my previous post is crap.

As it stands we can't "derive" where the fault is without intervening.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

EBK

Show some pics?  No NDA for those, right?
  • SUPPORTER

patrick398

Looks like D1 was bust, i've lifted it and now getting voltages through to the regulator. I've got about 16v in at the DC jack and the regulator has got about 15v on every pin so i think that's fried too. There's 15v on pretty much all other IC pins so i'll try and replace the regulator to see if i can get some normal voltage around the board. I don't really want to give it juice until the regulator is replaced through fear of doing even more damage