Tonepad RM Octavia

Started by jhherren, September 12, 2019, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhherren

Just got this pcb in today and want to double check before I make a mistake. Here's the build doc: http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=120

See the two resistors between the 22u caps? Are those just meant to stand up instead of lay flat?

Kevin Mitchell

You're going to have to post a photo of the board you have. The home-etch layout is different than the purchased board. But my guess is yes they're likely standing resistors.

FWIW - the Tycobrahe or even the Foxx Tone Machine sound better than the Rocket. I have emails on improving the Rocket (from someone who corresponded with Roger Mayer himself) but haven't found time to work off the notes.

Easy build though.
-KM
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

jhherren

I purchased from Small Bear. It looks identical to the layout on Tonepad.

I've also read that this one isn't the best octave pedal. I'm making it as a gift for a Hendrix fan, so going for "authenticity".

Seems like these could only be standing resistors. Appreciate the vote of confidence :)

bluebunny

Quote from: jhherren on September 12, 2019, 04:26:11 PM
See the two resistors between the 22u caps? Are those just meant to stand up instead of lay flat?

Consulting with Sherlock Homes (kinda), I don't see any other possibility.  Stand 'em up!   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Kevin Mitchell

Ah I was looking at the wrong capacitors  :o
Yeah they are standing. I was further confused because the preview of the PCB is completely different.

-KM
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

jhherren

Plexi

Found this little same pcb (from Tonepad) out there. Finished it, and sounding.
http://tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=120

A bit gated, to be honest.
Any hint or thread where found some voltages? As I know, the important here are Q1 to Q3.

My readings, V in 9.3:
Q1
E=4.4V B=3.0V C=3.0v

Q2
E=2.1V B=2.9V C=5.8

Q3
E=2.7V B=3.2V C=6.4V

Q4
E=3.5V B=2.2V C=9.3

I would love some voltage readings/sugestions for those transistors.. thanks!!
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Mark Hammer

When I built my RM Octavia, some time back, I found that I needed to supplement the 10k drive pot with some additional resistance.  The unit was far too distorted, otherwise. 

Many contemporary pots have real values a bit lower than their nominal value (e.g., 9.84K for a 10k pot).  Quite possible that the Drive pot on the original also said 10k, but was a little higher in real value, rather than lower.  A 500R-1k trimmer in series with the Drive pot would let you zero in on a range of drive settings that provide decent octaving without too much fuzz.