BTDR-2H Reverb

Started by GreySuits, September 13, 2019, 12:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreySuits

Hi All,

I want to try and build a reverb pedal and it looks like I could go one of 2 ways Spring or digital (using a BTDR-2H).  It seems like using the BTDR-2H is the most straight forward as far as building goes, cheapest (as far as parts), and gives you the most range with the effect.  However, I've never really dealt with any of the three options and wanted to know if I was missing something?  Also are all BTDR-2H chip sets built the same?  Is there something I should look out for when buying one?  It seems like Mammoth has them the cheapest at $12.50, has anyone bought one from Mammoth (they are generally around $20 everywhere else).

https://www.mammothelectronics.com/products/accubell-sound-belton-btdr-2h-digital-reverb-module-horizontal

Kevin Mitchell

I don't understand how you missed the thread (which was the top post when you put this up) about Mammoth.

The chips are likely the same - only configured differently. There are schematics provided for the reverb modules on the main website. Here's the page for the model you're looking at;
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/main/?skin=sub01_05_1.html
You should be able to find the other models there too.

There's a post somewhere on this forum disusing the inner workings of the modules and even making a clone of one. Can't seem to find it at the moment.

-KM

• SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

anotherjim

Maybe you don't want a real spring reverb in a pedal. The short/smallest don't sound very good and they all pick up a lot of mechanical noise if placed down on the floor. Spring types are best in a rack or amp top casing with suitable anti-shock precautions.
If cost is an issue and you prefer DIY, Merlin's Equinox project does a really good job of sounding like a traditional guitar amp reverb - except that it doesn't go "boing" when you hit it.
http://valvewizard.co.uk/equinox.html

vigilante397

I would recommend getting them from Smallbear. It might be an extra buck or two over Mammoth, but Smallbear will take care of you.

As for your other question, nobody makes bad clones or anything of the Belton bricks that I'm aware of, so quality-wise should all be the same. That being said you obviously have the horizontal and vertical options, and the short/medium/long versions. I like amp-like spring emulated reverb so I usually go medium, but short would probably work for that as well. If you want dripping ambient, ethereal reverb, go for the long option.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

GreySuits

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on September 13, 2019, 02:23:26 PM
I don't understand how you missed the thread (which was the top post when you put this up) about Mammoth.

The chips are likely the same - only configured differently. There are schematics provided for the reverb modules on the main website. Here's the page for the model you're looking at;
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/main/?skin=sub01_05_1.html
You should be able to find the other models there too.

There's a post somewhere on this forum disusing the inner workings of the modules and even making a clone of one. Can't seem to find it at the moment.

-KM

I saw that thread, but I got an order from Mammoth in the mail yesterday so, I'm not really sure what is going on.

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: GreySuits on September 13, 2019, 03:35:53 PMI saw that thread, but I got an order from Mammoth in the mail yesterday so, I'm not really sure what is going on.
You've been spared  :icon_lol:

-KM
  • SUPPORTER

GreySuits

Quote from: anotherjim on September 13, 2019, 02:55:12 PM
Maybe you don't want a real spring reverb in a pedal. The short/smallest don't sound very good and they all pick up a lot of mechanical noise if placed down on the floor. Spring types are best in a rack or amp top casing with suitable anti-shock precautions.
If cost is an issue and you prefer DIY, Merlin's Equinox project does a really good job of sounding like a traditional guitar amp reverb - except that it doesn't go "boing" when you hit it.
http://valvewizard.co.uk/equinox.html

This looks awesome, thanks!

GreySuits

Quote from: vigilante397 on September 13, 2019, 03:15:24 PM
I would recommend getting them from Smallbear. It might be an extra buck or two over Mammoth, but Smallbear will take care of you.

As for your other question, nobody makes bad clones or anything of the Belton bricks that I'm aware of, so quality-wise should all be the same. That being said you obviously have the horizontal and vertical options, and the short/medium/long versions. I like amp-like spring emulated reverb so I usually go medium, but short would probably work for that as well. If you want dripping ambient, ethereal reverb, go for the long option.

So are the short, medium and long all different chip types you have to choose from?  Does each version effect the chip size?

Kevin Mitchell

Quote from: GreySuits on September 13, 2019, 04:02:34 PMSo are the short, medium and long all different chip types you have to choose from?  Does each version effect the chip size?
Though no one has dissected one to have the answer - I'll go again and say no. They would be the same circuit just a small difference in the code.

-KM
  • SUPPORTER

GreySuits

Quote from: Kevin Mitchell on September 13, 2019, 04:06:15 PM
Quote from: GreySuits on September 13, 2019, 04:02:34 PMSo are the short, medium and long all different chip types you have to choose from?  Does each version effect the chip size?
Though no one has dissected one to have the answer - I'll go again and say no. They would be the same circuit just a small difference in the code.

-KM

Awesome, thanks!

samhay

>So are the short, medium and long all different chip types you have to choose from?  Does each version effect the chip size?

The BTDR should be thought of as 'bricks' rather than chips. They effectively contain a circuit comprising a reverb IC, op-amps and supporting resistors and capacitors. The short, medium and long bricks are different as they contain different resistors that set the amount of regeneration/feedback.

My recommendation is that, if you can find one, to use a BTDR-3. The feedback resistors are external in this brick, so you can set the decay with a dual gang pot. This makes it much more flexible.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com