Fiberglass dust while sanding PCBs

Started by yeeshkul, September 15, 2019, 07:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeeshkul

I used to sand my pcbs, so they feel smooth on the sides. I've been doing this over last 10 years. I would put a sandpaper on my desk and sand the pcb edges on it, without wearing a mask. Then i spilled the dust into a bin and washed my hands. There was no cloud of dust or anything, but recently a realized this was really a bad idea. Despite the fiberglass has not been proved carcinogenic, it may cause serious health issues. I just didn't realize i was sanding a fiberglass. What do you think? In any case i am not gonna do this any further.

yeeshkul

italianguy63

Well, you don't want to inhale it.. but, I don't think there is a huge health issue involved.

A dust mask is warranted.

One of the things you REALLY want to be careful with is "micro-ballons."

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

EBK

Just don't sand anything in California.  Everything is known to cause cancer in that state.  :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

GibsonGM

You could simply do this outside in the air, and don't agitate the thing enough to make much go airborne.  For the amount of dust you'd generate, that is sufficient, IMO.   A dust mask is always good, no matter the source of the dust.   I think you'll be OK with that.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

R.G.

Sand with wet sandpaper. The water captures the dust. Then rinse the sandpaper.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Ice-9

Quote from: R.G. on September 15, 2019, 10:01:28 AM
Sand with wet sandpaper. The water captures the dust. Then rinse the sandpaper.

Good advice, the sand paper you want is called 'wet n dry' unlike normal sandpaper it does not dissolve when it is wet. Get it from auto places.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

amptramp

I have seen people paint the edge of a circuit board with material they are using for a conformal coating.  This keeps moisture out of the board and gives it a glossy appearance.  You can paint any mounting screw holes as well so everything is sealed against moisture.

yeeshkul

Quote from: amptramp on September 16, 2019, 08:01:04 AM
I have seen people paint the edge of a circuit board with material they are using for a conformal coating.  This keeps moisture out of the board and gives it a glossy appearance.  You can paint any mounting screw holes as well so everything is sealed against moisture.

That was exactly my thoughts. I may try flux as well.