is this AC socket good for an amp?

Started by Dimitree, September 16, 2019, 03:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

I have one of this AC socket that I could use for my DIY tube amp (Vox AC30 clone).
Looks like it contains some sort of filter.

link: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=6egg1-1
datasheet: https://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=6EGG1-1&DocType=Customer+Drawing&DocLang=English

I'm wondering if there is any benefit using this kind of socket, or is it just wasted/overkill for such application? in that case I'll just use a standard AC socket

anotherjim

The filter won't hurt, but it isn't necessary. Most amplifier noise troubles stem from ground-chassis stray current sources which power line filtering won't stop.

Ben N

If you don't have a separate fuse holder, having one built in to the IEC socket can be handy (though you can get that without the power line filtering). I have had vintage amps that were definitely susceptible to "dirty power", as I learned when I moved from one house to another.  So there may be circumstances where power line filtering is useful.
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

If you are playing gigs, you never know what kind of power quality you will run into at a venue, so a power line filter is justified and if I was designing an amp to go anywhere, I would use it.  The one you have linked to looks a little pricey but with a fuseholder included, it is quite compact.  It is only effective at RF frequencies according to the spec sheet but that is sometimes what you need.

Drilling and sawing the mounting hole for this beast is going to be quite the chore but it will be worth it.

It offers the opportunity to use standard computer power cables so if you damage one, it can be replaced easily.  However, it also offers the opportunity to lose the power cable, so carry a spare someplace where it won't get kicked around and you can find it.

Kevin Mitchell

When it comes to hifi stuff I try to keep these modules in mind. They're great with the built in filter and fuse holder. There's even space for a spare fuse.

-KM
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

Ben N

Quote from: amptramp on September 16, 2019, 08:13:50 AM
It offers the opportunity to use standard computer power cables so if you damage one, it can be replaced easily. 
I own exactly one amp that is less than 27 years old, so I'm hardly well versed in current safety standards, but I was under the impression that detachable (i.e. IEC) cables are now required for UL certification.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

> impression that detachable (i.e. IEC) cables are now required for UL certification.

I don't know of any such requirement; cite?

In practice, if you hope to sell to many countries, you need many different cords and plugs. Building the appliance to IEC, you can buy almost any type of cord for the laws where you are selling the amp, when you make the sales-deal.

In stage work, another point. UL requires a 25(?) pound pull-test on line cord. If you have ever snagged an SVT by the cord when it fell over, you know that's not enough. Cord or grommet may fail. With IEC you have half a chance it will just pull out, no harm done.

https://incompliancemag.com/article/the-simple-power-cord/
  • SUPPORTER

Ben N

Quote from: PRR on September 16, 2019, 04:00:01 PM
> impression that detachable (i.e. IEC) cables are now required for UL certification.

I don't know of any such requirement; cite? ...
With IEC you have half a chance it will just pull out, no harm done.
Unfortunately, I could not access the UL rules in question, and indeed I am not sure that this is the case, which my milquetoast language was meant to convey. But if it is, Paul, it is for the reason you gave.
  • SUPPORTER

MrStab

the manufacturer obviously knows what they're doing better than my idiot self, but my gut-reaction to seeing that socket is "wow, that looks quite weighty and juts out a fair bit". i'm almost-definitely being paranoid, but i would avoid putting any live boards directly underneath that, especially if it's an amp that gets moved around a lot.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.