non grounded output jacks makes sense ?

Started by tomtom, October 17, 2003, 08:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomtom

I've seen this a lot. The jack could be a classic switchkraft or even an isolated rean. The ground connection on those simply does not exist !

??

Tom

Mike Burgundy

on switchcraft types, the outputground is connected to input ground through the chassis, so that'll work.
Isolated jacks without a direct connection *can* work (f'rexample ground is defined through your adapter daisy chain) but I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

tomtom

Thanks !

With isolated jacks both tied to ground the chassis is not connected to anything.
 With switchkraft type the chassis is used as a gound path.

The last one seems better, no? Less wire and RF protection from the grounded board.

Mike Burgundy

you could also use isolated jacks, and connect the chassis to one central grounding point.
t's actually good practice to pick one point that all ground wires run to (output, circuit, chassis, whatever ground leads you may have).
A good place to situate this is on the input jack's ground lug, or on a conductive spacerring+lug under the input jack. Grounding the box is always a good idea.

casey

one time i grounded a jack, i sent him to his room....

hardee har har har....  :roll:
Casey Campbell

Ammscray

All original fuzz faces were done this way...jacks isolated and the grounds all to one point (one of the screws holding down the circuit board to the casing)

C Anderton said he thinks they did it this way on purpose, though I do forget what else he said about it...since both types of jacks were around at the time, they could've used the non-isolated ones...I've always built my FF clones like this (isolated ground), just to do it...
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

tomtom

Thanks everybody !

I've always use starground and isolated jacks (case not grounded however, Ihave to try this).
 I have just start to make a bunch so it seems every question came to my mind !  :roll:

Best !!
 Tom