KLON Centaur / Clones Charge Pump Differences

Started by mickeybellinello, October 02, 2019, 08:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeybellinello

Hi to All,

I'm starting to built my own Klon clone. I ordered the Aion Refractor PCB which is the "verified" 1:1 copy of the original circuit.

I printed the "real one" and the "refactor" schematic and I see some changes in the power section:

Here's the original:

Here's the refractor one:

As you can see the 1uf capacitor in the "refractor schematic" are 10uf, same thing with the original 47uf cap (C17)...

Why that?

Thanks so much!

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

phasetrans

Quote from: antonis on October 02, 2019, 09:01:37 AM
Different ICs..

For the general edification of people using voltage converters. Microchip makes a "high" frequency version of this, the TC7660H. You can use smaller caps, the switching frequency is out of the audio band at 120kHz.
  • SUPPORTER

mickeybellinello

Thanks to all,

so...if I use original values with original chip I'm right?

antonis

As right as you should be by using replacement chip with replacement values..  :icon_wink:
(considering both extracted from manufacturer datasheets..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

phasetrans

Quote from: mickeybellinello on October 03, 2019, 05:03:42 AM
Thanks to all,

so...if I use original values with original chip I'm right?

There's nothing magic in the circuit about this IC. It just supplies 18V by charging a cap to 9V and shoving the leg to 0V.

The original part is obsolete, and had a low switching frequency. The more modern part, with larger caps, will work better and shpuld have less ripple. Arguably the most important component choice here are the capacitors.

I suggest the TI 1044 data sheet, or the microchip 7660H data sheet for more information, and formulas to calculate ripple.

• SUPPORTER