Holy buckets, Batman, they actually exist!

Started by Mark Hammer, June 18, 2017, 03:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I've had the datasheets for the MN3214, the 5-tap baby brother to the legendary (in my mind at least) 6-tap MN3011 bucket brigade chip, but I have never actually seen them listed as inventory anywhere or used in any commercial products.  I just figured they were one of these mythical beasts, like the MN33xx series of BBDs, that were planned and existed on paper but never in reality.  So imagine my surprise when I stumble onto this, the Yamaha DC-100, a true stereo chorus pedal, that appears to have made use of the multiple taps it provided:

http://www.modezero.com/yamaha-dc100.htm

wordtobigbird

I either haven't seen enough pcbs or that layout is amazing! The idea of tracing that  :icon_eek:

Have any effects made use of the MN3012 that you know of?

ElectricDruid

So..any chance of finding a schematic for that?

Just curious. Obviously I'm not likely to be building one any time soon. Just as soon as I rustle up the lost stash of MN3214s from where they're hiding in a crate in a warehouse in Area 51.

T.

digi2t

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 20, 2017, 06:19:48 AM
So..any chance of finding a schematic for that?

Just curious. Obviously I'm not likely to be building one any time soon. Just as soon as I rustle up the lost stash of MN3214s from where they're hiding in a crate in a warehouse in Area 51.

T.

I happened to be cruising through the Japanese net market place last week, and I just picked up a trio of Yamaha pedals from this series; the BD-100 (overdrive), the MBD-100 (multi band distortion), and .... a DC-100!  :icon_biggrin:

As soon as I'm done with the Sputnik, I'll be gettin' down and dirty with the DC-100. Gonna be some pokin' goin' on round here. :icon_mrgreen:

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

maartendh

Schematic with 3011:

Elektuur (Dutch Elector) march 1990 - maybe they published this in one or more of the other language editions as well (german, french, english, spanish).
ETI magazine, date unknown. Panasonic was still making these BBD's, according to the article. The design was made by Chris Blakey (also the author?)

I have copies of both articles, but they are in bad shape. Scanning them would not improve quality. Maybe somebody can find better copies, I remember a website with loads of DIYmagazines, including ETI, I think.

Maarten

Mark Hammer

Jeorge Tripps generously gave me an MN3011 some years back, and I etched and populated that board for the Elektor project, just to hear what it sounded like.  However, I never wired it up and boxed it.  The plan is to give the project a good run-through, and then commit the chip to a scaled-back version of the A/DA STD-1.

After September.

leigh

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 28, 2017, 01:12:25 PM
Jeorge Tripps generously gave me an MN3011 some years back, and I etched and populated that board for the Elektor project, just to hear what it sounded like...

Thought you might be interested in this: my software company recently came out with a bucket brigade reverb plug-in that's based around a model of the MN3011. As far as I know, this is the first plug-in to emulate an MN3011 BBD reverb. And the inspiration for the project was actually that ETI magazine article – I had never heard of a BBD reverb before that.

So, if you're curious to hear what the ETI / Elektor circuit sounds like without having to wire one up, you could grab the demo of our Cheeseverb plug-in here (no signup and no iLok required):

https://www.refusesoftware.com/cheeseverb

cheers,
Leigh
reFuse Software

Mark Hammer

iainpunk

Quote from: leigh on October 02, 2019, 12:23:48 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 28, 2017, 01:12:25 PM
Jeorge Tripps generously gave me an MN3011 some years back, and I etched and populated that board for the Elektor project, just to hear what it sounded like...

Thought you might be interested in this: my software company recently came out with a bucket brigade reverb plug-in that's based around a model of the MN3011. As far as I know, this is the first plug-in to emulate an MN3011 BBD reverb. And the inspiration for the project was actually that ETI magazine article – I had never heard of a BBD reverb before that.

So, if you're curious to hear what the ETI / Elektor circuit sounds like without having to wire one up, you could grab the demo of our Cheeseverb plug-in here (no signup and no iLok required):

https://www.refusesoftware.com/cheeseverb

cheers,
Leigh
reFuse Software

holy shit, that reverb sound great! im really considering building such a bbd reverb, both for pedal use and to make an impulse response pack for convolution reverbs
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers