PedalPCB Monarch troubleshoot

Started by ironman180, October 25, 2021, 05:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironman180

Hi guys!

I built a kit from PedalPCB, it's a Monarch distortion (Wampler Sovereign clone). I used all the original parts except that I wanted the boost section to be footswitchable so I wired it to 3pdt instead of dpdt and added an LED. The problem is when I turn the boost on and if all the knobs are maxed out or almost maxed out (that includes guitar volume pot), the pedal starts to oscillate. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it? I reflown all the solder joints again and made some wires a bit shorter than it is shown in the pics. I'll post more pics and data if I need to.

Thank you all!

ironman180

This is how I soldered 3pdt instead of dpdt

MikeA

I think that by wiring out all the pots and switches rather than soldering them directly to the PCB, you've created lots of opportunities for coupling between the different stages (between the wires for the Gain and Tone pots, for example.)  In a high gain pedal that can easily give you oscillation.  Second possibility is that your in/out wiring is too close together.  Possible solutions, from easiest to hardest:
- separate the wiring of each off-board component from the others as much as possible, you might get lucky.
- use an audio probe to see if you can determine the oscillation location, then shorten the suspect wires as much as possible.  If it happens to be the in/out jacks, then use shielded wire for those.
- attach one or more components directly to the PCB (screws up your layout, though)
- attach all the components directly to the PCB (just about guaranteed to fix the oscillation, this is likely how the PCB was designed and tested.)
  • SUPPORTER