Wire for stripboard links?

Started by newjackruby, October 05, 2019, 01:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newjackruby

What is the best thing to use for stripboard links? I know some people save lead clippings. Is there any better solution?

MaxPower

There are spools of wire which is a strand about as thick as component leads. It's uninsulated. Can't remember what it's called at the moment. There's always insulated stranded wire. A small gauge is usually fine.

I use all three (lead clippings, etc.) depending on the situation.

Jumper wire night be what you want to search for.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

ElectricDruid

I use this stuff:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/copper-wire/0355085/

Basically, it's single-core tinned copper wire. The diameter is slightly less than the typical "chopped off resistor leg", but that's fine - anything from 0.5mm up to probably 0.75mm would work ok.

HTH,
Tom

EBK

I use solid 22-gauge wire.  I strip the insulation off simply because I happen to like it that way.

There are no rules for this aspect of building.  Pick something made of metal and solder it in.  :icon_wink:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Rob Strand

Over my life I've used pretty much all the options.  At the end of the day it makes little difference.  Un-tinned stuff looks crap after a while.   If I have long stretches or wires side by side I feel compelled to use sheathed wire to prevent shorts.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

digi2t

Quote from: EBK on October 05, 2019, 04:26:22 PM
I use solid 22-gauge wire.  I strip the insulation off simply because I happen to like it that way.

There are no rules for this aspect of building.  Pick something made of metal and solder it in.  :icon_wink:

Ditto.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

PRR

Bare bus-wire is a specialty. Multi-conductor insulated cable is scrap. Grab a foot of solid CAT3+ network/telephone cable, peel as needed.
  • SUPPORTER

tubegeek

Quote from: PRR on October 05, 2019, 07:49:26 PM
Bare bus-wire is a specialty. Multi-conductor insulated cable is scrap. Grab a foot of solid CAT3+ network/telephone cable, peel as needed.

That's what I use but I like to have something a little heavier for ground busses and also I get sick of stripping it all the time. Someplace I found a roll of bare copper wire - the plumbing section maybe? - for notta lotta money, it's about 20 ga, wish I could figure out where I found it, I'd buy another roll.

For GOOD wire (stranded, teflon-insulated, many colors and sizes to choose from) it's Apex Jr. for me. But that's for point-to-point inside tube amp chassis. For pedals and circuit board stuff, mostly CAT5.

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

duck_arse

way back in the 80's, I bought a roll of bare copper wire, sold as picture hanging wire. was also the right size for vero links et al.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

newjackruby

Quote from: EBK on October 05, 2019, 04:26:22 PM

Cool. The holes in the board you are using are larger than what I have. My main problem was finding something small enough to do a double link. I guess I need different board.

EBK

I just widen the hole a bit if I need to fit a double link.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: EBK on October 06, 2019, 05:28:57 PM
I just widen the hole a bit if I need to fit a double link.

Alternatively, poke a small bit of wire through what would be the "double link" hole and solder it to the other link. This has got me out of a few scrapes.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

tubegeek

Quote from: duck_arse on October 06, 2019, 09:16:57 AM
way back in the 80's, I bought a roll of bare copper wire, sold as picture hanging wire. was also the right size for vero links et al.

Bingo! Just found it again, thanks for the reminder. My local Ace Hardware store, which was probably where I got it before, too. This package is 20 ga./50 feet, they also had 24 ga/100ft for the same price (about $7.50 US.) This stuff is slightly bigger than the CAT5 mentioned above, 24 ga is slightly smaller.

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

newjackruby

Quote from: bluebunny on October 07, 2019, 05:44:37 AM
Ack! Double links...   :P

I am working on an MXR Blue Box, because I enjoy annoying noises.  :icon_razz:
The layout has two double links in a row...so, a triple link?  :-\