Can someone ID this resistor for me

Started by Governor, October 07, 2019, 11:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Governor

Hi, I have some resistors that I thought were carbon comp but not really sure ( they look like carbon comp 1/2w).  So I've done a destructive test on one and it looks to have a spinal filament inside, so now I don't know!  Thanks for your help, here is a pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dswk7xrpcqemi3/Photo%208-10-19%2C%2012%2033%2004%20pm.png?dl=0

willienillie

I cracked one carbon comp open and it didn't have those spirals, but maybe some do, I don't know.  I've definitely seen carbon films with the spiral structure, but maybe not black.

Not much help, sorry.

Kevin Mitchell

I've only seen the inside of a few resistors - but each carbon comp, film and metal film.
That sure does resemble like that of a film type. But I wouldn't know for sure.

-KM
  • SUPPORTER
I'm archiving all of my DIYLC work for the home-etchers - Project Layouts & Templates

vigilante397

They definitely look like carbon comp on the outside, but I just cracked one open to be sure and it definitely doesn't have the wire. I would suggest a wire-wound resistor, but those don't generally look like carbon comp and are usually higher power.

Short answer: No idea :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Rob Strand

QuoteThey definitely look like carbon comp on the outside, but I just cracked one open to be sure and it definitely doesn't have the wire. I would suggest a wire-wound resistor, but those don't generally look like carbon comp and are usually higher power.
You wouldn't expect wire for a 2k2 or 33k.   The spiral is the hint, white part isn't wire it's a cut.  Maybe Governor can confirm?

The structure looks like carbon film,

So perhaps this is an old carbon film resistor, back when they started to change.  If you look at the brown part of the resistor the color isn't as dense as the carbon comps, also it's more of a plastic type material.  I remember seeing that type of resistor in stuff when I was a kid.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -

PRR

Antique carbon-film, made in a carbon-comp factory. Similar outside molding, different guts.
  • SUPPORTER

Governor

Ok, so I'm gathering NOS parts to build a Clark Gainster as close as I can to the original, I've pretty much sourced everything (Russian PIO caps, mallory 150's, Silver mica and Sprague Atom caps, NOS allen Bradley resistors, etc) except I'm struggling to find 1M NOS Allen Bradley 1/2w resistors! 

If I use these one that I have (assuming they are old carbon film) will there be any difference in tone?

stallik

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Rob Strand

Quotebut we will know .....
Those carbon comp resistors sound grainy to me anyway.  :icon_mrgreen:
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -