Order switch for 2-in-1 effects units?

Started by steveyraff, October 09, 2019, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveyraff

I've been asked to do this a few times, but I've never done it before.

Is there a wiring diagram to show how one might go about adding an 'order switch' to a 2-in-1 FX pedal build? I build a lot of 2-in-1's, so it would be great if its relatively simple to do?

Thanks,
Steve.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

ElectricDruid

Loads of threads on here about this.

This is a nice diagram for it:

You can leave off the LEDs and do it with a 3PDT if you prefer.

There's loads of good stuff on the page that comes from: A/B switching, loops, etc etc. Definitely worth a look

http://beavisaudio.com/projects/looperswitcher/

HTH,
Tom

steveyraff

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 09, 2019, 03:35:31 PM
Loads of threads on here about this.

This is a nice diagram for it:

You can leave off the LEDs and do it with a 3PDT if you prefer.

There's loads of good stuff on the page that comes from: A/B switching, loops, etc etc. Definitely worth a look

http://beavisaudio.com/projects/looperswitcher/

HTH,
Tom

No, I didn't mean an effects switcher.

I mean, you build a pedal like a fuzz and an overdrive in one box, as a dual footswitch pedal, and you want a switch to change the order of which circuit comes first - ya know?
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

idy

For a 2-in-1 pedal you replace the send and return jacks with the PCB in/outs of the two boards. That's it. Some folks use a toggle instead of a footswitch, some leave off the LED and only need a 3pdt.
You will need to use your normal bypass wiring to this scheme.

steveyraff

Hmm, I guess because I've never done it before, the wiring diagram is confusing me - also since it shows a 4PDT. I am trying to visualise exactly what I do if its a dual pedal using two 3PDT footswitches. Is there any diagrams out there for something more like that to make it easier to get my feeble little mind around? lol

Thanks for replies thus far.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Mark Hammer

I've used that wiring diagram for several pedals.  Confusing to look at, but works just fine.
I use a 3PDT toggle switch, rather than a 4PDT stompswitch.  The number of occasions where one might need to flip the order midsong are negligible.  And since your objective is to flip the order of two high-gain circuits, swapping their order will undoubtedly change the volume level, making any midsong swap disruptive. 

The position of the toggle's bat handle shows you which circuit comes "first", so there is no need for status LEDs.  Just note that what comes "first" is always on the opposite side of where the bat handle is pointing.  I've modified the Beavis drawing to simplify things.  Hope it helps.

steveyraff

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 10, 2019, 10:12:08 AM
I've used that wiring diagram for several pedals.  Confusing to look at, but works just fine.
I use a 3PDT toggle switch, rather than a 4PDT stompswitch.  The number of occasions where one might need to flip the order midsong are negligible.  And since your objective is to flip the order of two high-gain circuits, swapping their order will undoubtedly change the volume level, making any midsong swap disruptive. 

The position of the toggle's bat handle shows you which circuit comes "first", so there is no need for status LEDs.  Just note that what comes "first" is always on the opposite side of where the bat handle is pointing.  I've modified the Beavis drawing to simplify things.  Hope it helps.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to do that for me! That is very helpful and it is also how I was visualising it myself - so I am glad it confirms how I'd imagine it worked. I had planned on using a toggle switch as well anyway.

My problem is basically visualising how it fits into this offboard wiring type that I generally follow:

How does it plug in to this? Because obviously when I follow this, I am taking my input/output from each circuit to the two 3PDT footswitches.

Sorry for the stupid questions. I know its relatively straight forward and I am sure once I fully figure it out I'll see how simple it is. I just can't get my head around how to incorporate it into my usual offboard wiring.

Thanks,
Steve.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

mth5044

Clear as mud? Once you see it, you see it.

R.G.

I did a lot of "how to switch things" articles at geofex. It's worth reviewing those.

Your question is answered in the artile "The Juggler", from 1999. Hmmm. I guess it really is "twenty years ago today..."

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/juggler/juggler.htm
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

tubegeek

Quote from: R.G. on October 10, 2019, 03:04:16 PM
I did a lot of "how to switch things" articles at geofex. It's worth reviewing those.

Your question is answered in the artile "The Juggler", from 1999. Hmmm. I guess it really is "twenty years ago today..."

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/juggler/juggler.htm

RG: been trying to get a message to you. Have you not gotten ANY of them? Check your messages and/or keen@eden.com if that still exists.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

jfrabat

Here is the connection of a 5 effect one I made a while back:

Hope it helps!

Keep in mind these 3PDP switches have LED rings (red cable is LED signal).
I build.  I fix.  I fix again.  And again.  And yet again.  (sometimes again once more).  Then I have something that works! (Most of the time!).