Old Japanese 6 band eq pedal repair

Started by hamandles, October 12, 2019, 06:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamandles

PS Anyone know where is a good place to get replacement fader knobs in the UK?!!

Rob Strand

Good to see you got it working.

QuoteE: 3.68v
C: 9.31v (fresh battery!)
B: 3.91v
Doesn't quite match Rob's predicted voltages but seems plausible.
It's close enough to normal.  It would take a schematic to judge any finer details.

QuoteTested it again with some white noise and I could definitely hear the 800hz control making a difference now. I wonder if a slightly wonky looking capacitor could have been to blame
You never know what you find when you dig around fault finding.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

tubegeek

Quote from: hamandles on October 18, 2019, 06:12:08 PM
PS Anyone know where is a good place to get replacement fader knobs in the UK?!!

You might have good luck making your own little tips out of a product sold here in the US for making soft handles for hand tools etc. It's called Plasti-Dip here, basically a gooey rubber paint that hardens into a medium-thickness glossy skin. The tips in your photos look like they were made some sort of similar way. Otherwise maybe two layers of shrink tubing, with the inside layer left long and folded over, and the outside layer trapping the folded part underneath.

This faders are too close together for "normal" fader tips to fit, I think.

Another possibility - google "Top hat switch tip telecaster" - these might be small enough to fit that layout. The faders look like they have a similar metal end as the Tele switch.

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/products/telecaster-top-hat-switch-tip?variant=35679304778
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

duck_arse

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/toggle-switch/toggle-switch-handle-cap-black.html

not in the UK, not fader knobs, but they might do the job. cheap, three colours, if they don't work, stick em on yer toggles!
don't make me draw another line.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

willienillie

Quote from: tubegeek on October 20, 2019, 02:03:34 AM
"Top hat switch tip telecaster"

:icon_eek:

Those are huge, much larger than Strat switch tips, which still might be too big to fit this pedal.

tubegeek

Quote from: willienillie on October 20, 2019, 01:14:54 PM
Quote from: tubegeek on October 20, 2019, 02:03:34 AM
"Top hat switch tip telecaster"

:icon_eek:

Those are huge, much larger than Strat switch tips, which still might be too big to fit this pedal.

"Some modification necessary" perhaps....
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

hamandles

Some interesting thoughts here, thank you.  Yes, the tele pup selector would be too big, although the whole unit is a little bigger than I expected.  I guess I expected a Boss sized unit,  but this is longer and wider.
I may have a go with some plastidip or shrink wrap - good tips!