Queen of Bone 2 troubleshooting

Started by t0omas, October 13, 2019, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t0omas

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of DIY pedal building and new to this forum, and have a question about my first (semi-successful) build. After one failed attempt I now sort of got the Queen of Bone 2 (KoT style) working. However, every time I turn up the gain on the left side, I experience an extreme volume drop and hardly any sound. After I replace the opamp (JRC 4558D), the issue disappears but as soon as I start using the pedal and crank up the gain the opamp dies again. Anybody has a clue what I am doing wrong here?

Thanks!

Govmnt_Lacky

Welcome to the forum!

My first suggestion would be to double check ALL of your resistor and capacitor values. This is the most likely cause of your issue. After that, you should check carefully for solder bridges especially around the potentiometer in question (Gain2) and the op amp in question.

Report back and... Good Luck!
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

t0omas

Thank you for the suggestions. I checked my resistor values this morning and everything seems to be correct.. Also, I do not spot any solder bridges (in general and) near the gain pot or the socket for the op amp.

I attached some pictures, maybe a set of experienced eyes sees something different?

bluebunny

Quote from: t0omas on October 13, 2019, 03:19:39 PM
. . . the opamp dies again.

How do you know the op amp "dies"?

Check out the sticky Debugging thread - it really works.

And welcome from me too!   8)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

t0omas

You're right, I don't know for sure. But if I replace the op amp (i put sockets in), it magically works again. So that was just my trial&error conclusion. I put some extra insulation on the back of the tone pot, and it seems to work properly again.. maybe it was shorting out against the pcb? Will check the debugging thread though, and report back if I run into issues again. Thanks for the support!

By the way: any tips for properly protecting the back of the pots from the pcb? I have searched everywhere for these covers, but can't seem to find them..

Slowpoke101

Welcome to the madhouse....It's a great place.

Check R15
Your picture seems to show that you may have a 10R resistor installed and not a 1M.
This may just be a lighting problem with the picture but check it out anyway.

• SUPPORTER

antonis

Quote from: t0omas on October 14, 2019, 03:46:51 AM
any tips for properly protecting the back of the pots from the pcb? I have searched everywhere for these covers, but can't seem to find them..

You can't find them as "spare" part..
(many pots manufactures sell their products with or without plastic covers, although "without cover" concerns the majority of PCB mounted pots..)

You can easily isolate them by electrical tape or any non-conductive self-adhesive material..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

ElectricDruid

Quote from: antonis on October 14, 2019, 05:26:40 AM

Yes, you can! You just need to know what to  search for - "pot dust covers" or "dust seal" or something. They're often not obvious.

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Dust-Seal-Cover-16-BLK.html

You can easily isolate them by electrical tape or any non-conductive self-adhesive material..

Definitely a good idea. The dust covers are expensive...

t0omas

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on October 14, 2019, 04:29:54 AM
Welcome to the madhouse....It's a great place.

Check R15
Your picture seems to show that you may have a 10R resistor installed and not a 1M.
This may just be a lighting problem with the picture but check it out anyway.

I checked the resistor and its really black (was indeed a lighting problem!) The pedal is still working as it should (also with the gain maxed out) so hopefully it was just the pot shorting out against the PCB :)

Quote from: ElectricDruid on October 14, 2019, 06:57:09 AM
Quote from: antonis on October 14, 2019, 05:26:40 AM

Yes, you can! You just need to know what to  search for - "pot dust covers" or "dust seal" or something. They're often not obvious.

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Dust-Seal-Cover-16-BLK.html

Alright, guess I'll stick with some good old electrical tape then! Many thanks for the support!!

Slowpoke101

The red arrow points towards R15 and not to a specific colour band.

The resistor in the picture seems to have the following bands;
Brown, Black, Black, SILVER, Brown which indicates that it is a 10R (10 Ohm ) resistor.

A 1M resistor (which R15 is supposed to be, unless I misread the dodo - which happens all too often ) should
have the following colour bands;
Brown, Black, Black, YELLOW, Brown

Again, its probably just lighting issues or a digital artefact from the image compression algorithm.

• SUPPORTER

bluebunny

I think the "silver" is actually yellow?  Compare with the 47K between the two red caps.
  • SUPPORTER

t0omas

Quote from: Slowpoke101 on October 14, 2019, 03:36:22 PM
The red arrow points towards R15 and not to a specific colour band.

The resistor in the picture seems to have the following bands;
Brown, Black, Black, SILVER, Brown which indicates that it is a 10R (10 Ohm ) resistor.

A 1M resistor (which R15 is supposed to be, unless I misread the dodo - which happens all too often ) should
have the following colour bands;
Brown, Black, Black, YELLOW, Brown

Again, its probably just lighting issues or a digital artefact from the image compression algorithm.

Quote from: bluebunny on October 14, 2019, 04:25:48 PM
I think the "silver" is actually yellow?  Compare with the 47K between the two red caps.

I can confirm that it's yellow!

Slowpoke101

Quote from: t0omas on October 15, 2019, 03:03:18 AM
I can confirm that it's yellow!

That is good news, thank you.
That has got to be one of the weirdest colour errors I've seen in a digital picture. Not to worry.
Thanks also to bluebunny for noting the similar colour problem with the 47K resistor.

It's great news that you have got the pedal to work properly. Enjoy  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Small Bear does covers for the 16mm Alpha pots for 11¢.   8)   And most of Tayda's 16mm pots have them pre-fitted.
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: bluebunny on October 15, 2019, 09:14:01 AM

Small Bear does covers for the 16mm Alpha pots for 11¢.   8)   And most of Tayda's 16mm pots have them pre-fitted.

Ok, the pot dust covers are expensive *in Europe* but somehow are much less expensive when sent from much further away!!

I'm happy to be wrong about such a thing.

Thanks,
Tom

bluebunny

Ha ha!  Yes, Banzai's are a bit steep!   :icon_eek:   And knowing Banzai, they're not actually in stock and they will take an age to arrive...  :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER