The Multiwave MEGA - new wavetable guitarsynth with filter envelopes

Started by Freppo, October 14, 2019, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freppo

Hi folks!

I'm releasing a new DIY project today - the Multiwave Mega Guitar Synthesizer.
It's a wavetable based guitar synth with an analog resonant lowpass filter.

Key features:
* Two oscillators with several waveshapes that can be blended and detuned
* Analog resonant filter with envelopes that can be triggered by the guitar signal or LFO
* LFO to modulate the amplitude and frequency

It's a digital / analog hybrid. On the digital side we have a microcontroller (an Attiny... nothing fancy) that is handling the oscillators, filter envelopes and LFO. On the analog side we have a quite complex CMOS based preamp section, the lowpass filter and a sample and hold (for the sustain, aka "drone mode"). It has a total of 35 wavetables stored in the uC. Every detuned waveshape needed it's own wavetables, and some that are unique to the filter envelopes and LFO. So it took alot of work to get it done.

This is something that i've been working with for months. I think it turned out pretty cool in the end. :)
I hope you like it!

PCB, build document and manual avaliable at www.parasitstudio.se
DIY kit avaliable at www.musikding.de

Best regards
/ Fredrik, Parasit Studio
Check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Mr. Lime

Thanks for help

patrick398

Excellent work Fredrik, sounds fantastic and looks beautiful. The little oscilloscope display reminds me of the one in the Korg Minilogue, very cool feature!

Mark Hammer

I can see why it took four months.  Not exactly the sort of thing you sketch out on the paper placemat while waiting for the server to bring you your food order!

FUZZZZzzzz

very sexy!!

I just thought you were enjoying Swedish nature, but you were hiding in the lab for months working on this guitar player's wet dream. Also love the Star Wars reference in the video. Think I'll build one and name it Boba's Fet(t)ish. How does it work with bass, voice and other stuff?
"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

snk

Rob Strand

Turned out really nice.   I like the start of the clip, very cool.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Freppo

Thanks guys for the positive comments.  I glad you like it. :)

Alot of PCB's shipped out today.
I hope that people will have as much fun building and using it as I had developing it!

Quote from: FUZZZZzzzz on October 14, 2019, 04:26:06 PM
I just thought you were enjoying Swedish nature, but you were hiding in the lab for months working on this guitar player's wet dream. Also love the Star Wars reference in the video. Think I'll build one and name it Boba's Fet(t)ish. How does it work with bass, voice and other stuff?

Haha, you were right though. I have 3 dogs and live in a house in the middle of a forest, so when I need to think I go for longs walks...  ;)

I haven't tried it with anything else than guitar to be honest. But it should work fine with other stuff aswell.
When I have time I'll try running some bass and reamped tracks through it.  :)

Btw, that's a great name for a pedal haha

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 14, 2019, 01:42:04 PM
I can see why it took four months.  Not exactly the sort of thing you sketch out on the paper placemat while waiting for the server to bring you your food order!
"for months"... It actually took closer to 8 months to complete, or around 1500-2000 hours of work. But that's because it went through all kinds of developement changes before I was happy with it. It was 100% analog for a long time, with a quite complex waveshaping section that I had come up with, aswell as my own envelope generator. The component count was insane through, so the final version is much more DIY friendly. But I might use some of the ideas that I ditched for future projects.

When I have time I'll be writing a long developement blog post explaining the developement process and sharing some of the ideas that didn't make it.  :)
Check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Mr. Lime

Quote"for months"... It actually took closer to 8 months to complete, or around 1500-2000 hours of work. But that's because it went through all kinds of developement changes before I was happy with it. It was 100% analog for a long time, with a quite complex waveshaping section that I had come up with, aswell as my own envelope generator. The component count was insane through, so the final version is much more DIY friendly. But I might use some of the ideas that I ditched for future projects.

When I have time I'll be writing a long developement blog post explaining the developement process and sharing some of the ideas that didn't make it.  :)

That would be awesome!
Thanks for help

bluebunny

This is very cool, Fredrik.  I've no idea what I would use it for, but it's very cool.  And I might not be able to stop myself building one regardless.   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...