FV1 dev board clock noise abd volume drop problem

Started by Tjstomp96, October 18, 2019, 11:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjstomp96

Hi all,

I am seeing on scope and hearing significant clock noise from Spin FV1 + dev board, plus attenuated volume/signal compared to bypass.
I can hear that the effect loaded from the eeprom is present. Any pointers to what may be causing either of these issues,
Thx,
Tim

Digital Larry

Program your board with a bypass program to iron out any fundamental gain matching issues.  AFAIK a lot of the stock patches on the FV-1 internal ROM are full-wet and with reverbs you don't really expect that to be as loud as the incoming signal.  In many cases the incoming signal is attenuated by 6 or more dB to allow headroom.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

alexvetelkin

look at other schemes where there is a volume knob, solder to the necessary contacts and there will be no problems, there will be a good supply. Did you buy a chip on Ali (China)?

vigilante397

I also just soldered up my first board with an FV-1 and the clock noise is unbearable. I did order the chips from Aliexpress, so they came from China. The board (purchased from pedalPCB) and the hex file (also from pedalPCB) I used were both verified, so I'm assuming the chinese FV-1 is the main suspect?
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

Found the answer myself. If you got the chip from a Chinese seller (i.e. Aliexpress) and the date code is from 2008 the chips are likely garbage. I just requested a refund for mine and ordered some from a reputable seller in the U.S.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Yeah, FV-1's from AliExpress etc always seem to be either refurbished or faulty one's and can be dated around 10 years old. It has been discussed a few times over at the Spin forum. Only buy new from the official supplier to guarantee the DSP's functionality. Suppliers have been out of stock for a little while now due to a fabrication/manufacture issue which has now been solved and chips should be starting to get restocked first week in November I am told.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

vigilante397

I actually ordered some from Electro-Smith, who has a limited stock right now. Also BuildYourOwnClone looks like they have some in stock as well. Obviously both charge a few bucks more than the authorized distributor, but I'm impatient, so I got enough to replace the bad ones I got from China. Should hold me over until the authorized places get them stocked.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

alexvetelkin

I have 3 chips from China, they work, there is no cod like others, but there is a light background, if you listen, it is not pleasant, considering that when the pedal is turned off, there is absolute silence.
vigilante397 Write when you get the original chips and the noise is gone? I have a parity of 2018.

vigilante397

Quote from: alexvetelkin on October 29, 2019, 12:46:57 AM
vigilante397 Write when you get the original chips and the noise is gone? I have a parity of 2018.

Will do, they should be here tomorrow so I should be able to get one up and running tomorrow night.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

Got my FV-1's in from Electro-Smith yesterday (date code - 2018) and I am absolutely thrilled. The effect sounds beautiful, and there is absolutely ZERO clock noise. It's a delay, and even with the effect all the way wet it's dead silent when I'm not playing.

I still haven't heard back from Aliexpress on my refund, which probably isn't a good sign, but at least I know I have some good chips now.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

alexvetelkin

I decided the problem with noise, FV1 is not to blame, the reason is in TL074. I put OPA4134 and the noise disappeared. I bought chips on Ali, all 3 pieces do not make noise. Did according to the Arachnid scheme with PCB. The Chinese have learned to fake them well.

vigilante397

So if your Chinese chips had a date code of 2018 then they may have been fine. The most common problems I hear about are with chips with 2008 date codes, and even then they probably aren't fake, just factory rejects, etc.

As a side note, the authorized distributor for the US has FV-1s back in stock now, so I have more legit chips coming at a better price than I got from Aliexpress ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Quote from: vigilante397 on November 14, 2019, 07:07:00 PM
So if your Chinese chips had a date code of 2018 then they may have been fine. The most common problems I hear about are with chips with 2008 date codes, and even then they probably aren't fake, just factory rejects, etc.

As a side note, the authorized distributor for the US has FV-1s back in stock now, so I have more legit chips coming at a better price than I got from Aliexpress ;D

@vigilante397  Out of interest what is the current price of the FV-1 in the USA from genuine supplier?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

vigilante397

Quote from: Ice-9 on November 15, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

@vigilante397  Out of interest what is the current price of the FV-1 in the USA from genuine supplier?

$10 plus shipping, which was $8 for my order of 10 chips.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ice-9

Quote from: vigilante397 on November 15, 2019, 08:11:17 PM
Quote from: Ice-9 on November 15, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

$10 plus shipping, which was $8 for my order of 10 chips.

In the UK the price is way higher , the price went up about almost 100% 2 years ago to the equivalent of $19.97 each plus shipping. No price break for 10 units.
UK price £15.80 each + shipping
www.stanleyfx.co.uk