Very helpful pedal development board, what do you guys think?

Started by First Try, October 31, 2019, 03:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

First Try

I got this board which has a lot of useful parts build on it to help design pedals. Made a quick pedal to test it out, still working on it. What do you guys think of the board?

If you want to hear the overdrive pedal(Still have a lot of work to do on that pedal) I made on the board, check out here: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/dpbi6e/interesting_pedal_development_board_i_got_this/

vigilante397

First off, welcome to the forum :)

Thought #1 - That looks fantastic!

Thought #2 - That looks expensive :P

Seriously, great looking setup, definitely looks useful. So aside from pots I see what looks like some regulators up top, and is there a charge pump over by the power input? What are the ICs you have up there? I'd be interested to see a list of features you put on ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

First Try

Quote from: vigilante397 on October 31, 2019, 11:44:07 AM
Seriously, great looking setup, definitely looks useful. So aside from pots I see what looks like some regulators up top, and is there a charge pump over by the power input? What are the ICs you have up there? I'd be interested to see a list of features you put on ;D

Thanks for sharing!
yeah, is it a little pricey, I got it for $178, but it has many things on it.

--These are all soldered to the board--
potentiometers, voltages from 18v,12v,-12v+9v,-9v, (the regulators/IC are for the power circuit), LFO, 4.5v, 6v, 9v reference(biasing), 2 buttons, 4 LED and more.

The circuit on the breadboard it a quick overdrive pedal I made to test out the board, the video of it is on my reddit post here if you want to hear it: https://www.reddit.com/r/diypedals/comments/dpbi6e/interesting_pedal_development_board_i_got_this/
I am currently editing an "unboxing/designing a pedal" video and the full video will be on my YouTube channel soon: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrMKT8fCnaH3rsYm4GuzmYA?view_as=subscriber

First Try

https://mimmotronics.com/protis1/ Here is the link with more info about it.

MaxPower

Pretty cool. Like the pots setup. Tired of wires and pots all over the place. I finally built a pot holder but still use jumper wires with alligator clips. Their solution is more elegant. Going to steal it.

5v would be useful for those of us who dabble in digital ics. Why not a variable voltage supply?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

First Try

Quote from: MaxPower on October 31, 2019, 08:35:03 PM
Pretty cool. Like the pots setup. Tired of wires and pots all over the place. I finally built a pot holder but still use jumper wires with alligator clips. Their solution is more elegant. Going to steal it.

5v would be useful for those of us who dabble in digital ics. Why not a variable voltage supply?

Yeah it doesn't have a variable voltage supply, but it provides +9v, -9v, +12v, -12v, 18v which is what is mainly used in pedals to power op-amps an what not. This board is mainly used for pedals, not digital such as logic gates and all.

Thanks for sharing

vigilante397

We use 5V for a lot more than just logic gates. Even those that aren't really into digital have probably done PT2399 based delay, or a Belton BTDR based reverb, both of which require a 5V supply. I also noticed it was missing and was curious, especially since the same company sells a PT2399 add-on board.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

First Try

Quote from: vigilante397 on November 01, 2019, 03:02:10 AM
We use 5V for a lot more than just logic gates. Even those that aren't really into digital have probably done PT2399 based delay, or a Belton BTDR based reverb, both of which require a 5V supply. I also noticed it was missing and was curious, especially since the same company sells a PT2399 add-on board.

Oh yeah I forgot about PT2399, I actually ordered some to design a delay pedal. And I looked at the board again, it does have 5v

anotherjim

That looks impressive.
Are the protoboard blocks and power strips easily replaceable? The contacts do wear out and probably sooner than the rest of the product.
Some of us have no use for anything that can only produce "a little smoke"  :icon_twisted:

First Try

Quote from: anotherjim on November 02, 2019, 12:13:04 PM
That looks impressive.
Are the protoboard blocks and power strips easily replaceable? The contacts do wear out and probably sooner than the rest of the product.
Some of us have no use for anything that can only produce "a little smoke"  :icon_twisted:

The breadboard I believe are just stuck on there with adhesive, nothing connects to the breadboard so I think you can replace them, I'm not sure

mimmotronics

Quote from: First Try on November 03, 2019, 12:58:32 AM
Quote from: anotherjim on November 02, 2019, 12:13:04 PM
That looks impressive.

The breadboard I believe are just stuck on there with adhesive, nothing connects to the breadboard so I think you can replace them, I'm not sure

Mimmotronics here, yes the breadboard is stuck on with an adhesive backing. If you're diligent and careful enough you can replace the breadboard by prying the existing one off with a flat tool. Not too much force though, since one bad slip might knock out some of the headers.