Increase "Volume" Electra Distortion

Started by DJPsychic, November 03, 2019, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

One more suggestion - and it's not a criticism of any sort.  I see you used an "innie" DC jack.  DC jacks come in "innie" and "outie" varieties.  The innie is cosmetically prettier and lets you snuggle pedals closer together sometimes, but is a pain to secure the nut and takes up valuable real-estate in the enclosure.  Outies are generally easier to work with and tend to cost the same.

I mention this because folks who have a long building track record can plan stuff out well and fit a lot of stuff in tight spaces.  Beginners need all the internal enclosure space they can get their hands on.  One way to do that is to use bigger enclosures, I suppose.  But why pay for and use a 1590BB when a B-size is really all you need.  Drilling holes in the right places, and using space-conserving components can provide plenty of useful internal space.  And if the circuits themselves find their way to "the graveyard", the enclosure (often the biggest cost) will be amenable to re-use.  I'm sure you'll agree that, should the romance between you and this circuit ever wear off, you'll be limited in what you can repurpose the enclosure for.

DJPsychic

Quote from: Mark Hammer on November 10, 2019, 04:38:49 PM
One more suggestion - and it's not a criticism of any sort.  I see you used an "innie" DC jack.  DC jacks come in "innie" and "outie" varieties.  The innie is cosmetically prettier and lets you snuggle pedals closer together sometimes, but is a pain to secure the nut and takes up valuable real-estate in the enclosure.  Outies are generally easier to work with and tend to cost the same.

I mention this because folks who have a long building track record can plan stuff out well and fit a lot of stuff in tight spaces.  Beginners need all the internal enclosure space they can get their hands on.  One way to do that is to use bigger enclosures, I suppose.  But why pay for and use a 1590BB when a B-size is really all you need.  Drilling holes in the right places, and using space-conserving components can provide plenty of useful internal space.  And if the circuits themselves find their way to "the graveyard", the enclosure (often the biggest cost) will be amenable to re-use.  I'm sure you'll agree that, should the romance between you and this circuit ever wear off, you'll be limited in what you can repurpose the enclosure for.

Hey, I'll take all the advice I can get. I used the "innie" because yes, it looks nice and frankly the build told me too. But it can be a pain at times, I have to feed a few wires through hole in enclosure and the nut, then solder to DC Jack. I have forgotten to do this a few times and had to rewire. No matter what, pedal making takes a lot of time (for me at least). All the little things add up for sure.

When I get a better feel for schematics I'll be able to plan ahead a little better. Like I said, I'm just going "paint-by-numbers" from the Joe Gore builds. I'm hoping if I just keep doing these over and over I'll become enlightened and understand schematics one day. It's definitely becoming an obsession ;D