two-in-one effect only works with battery, not 9v from one spot

Started by Pmelius, October 21, 2019, 02:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pmelius

So this is a tricky one because I can't supply schematics from either circuit.

I'm putting "fuzz" from an alarm clock radio and an "octave" from a voice changer toy into one box. The octave is on a momentary switch, and the fuzz is the main effect. The octave follows the fuzz in series.

It works great, and sounds really cool, but only when powered by a battery (it also drains the battery super fast.)

When it's powered from a one-spot there is constantly noise in the background, and when the octave is engaged, only a low-frequency oscillation can be heard, and it's not affecting the guitar signal, it's just noise.

I've done the alarm clock fuzz before and powered it with a one spot with no noise issues. I think the issue has something to do with the addition of the octave/its interaction with the power source and the other circuit.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why this might be the case. Both circuits and the 9v/battery are all grounded at the same point and both circuits get their power from the same source.

In case the project that I'm inquiring about isn't an indicator, I'm not exactly an engineer :D

vigilante397

Can we see pictures of your wiring? That may help pin-point the problem.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Pmelius

Sure, I can post a photo later this evening. I'm at work at the moment.

Pmelius

Also have this crude block diagram of the order of effects. Not an artist either ;D

BluffChill

Could be that one of the effects is drawing considerably more current, but it's weird that it works with a battery. maybe try some sort of voltage divider - maybe 100R resistor before the power in of each effect?
Kits & Pedals! EctoVerb - HyperLight - Shagpile - http://bluffchilldevices.bigcartel.com/

stallik

The battery draining super fast makes me think there may be a short somewhere. If there is, it's likely the 1spot is going into a protective shutdown.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Pmelius

Quote from: BluffChill on October 21, 2019, 03:12:19 PM
Could be that one of the effects is drawing considerably more current, but it's weird that it works with a battery. maybe try some sort of voltage divider - maybe 100R resistor before the power in of each effect?

I can try that!

Quote from: stallik on October 21, 2019, 03:18:52 PM
The battery draining super fast makes me think there may be a short somewhere. If there is, it's likely the 1spot is going into a protective shutdown.

Hadn't considered this. I did have to do a great deal of messing around in the fuzz circuit to get it to work. Maybe I'll have to look for an error on my part.

Mark Hammer

Q: Does "jiggling" the power plug result in occasional powering-up?

Pmelius

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 21, 2019, 04:56:09 PM
Q: Does "jiggling" the power plug result in occasional powering-up?

Well the effect powers up, and the fuzz effect even works when using the 1spot. There is just a very noticeable high pitched oscillation, and when the octave effect is engaged, there is only low freq noise.

But later I can try jiggling it to see if there is any kind of change in symptom. What are you suspecting?

Pmelius

I got it to work last night. I discovered that I had a point from the octave board grounded which should not have been grounded. That'll do it!  :icon_redface:

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

Pmelius

Quote from: duck_arse on October 22, 2019, 10:05:46 AM
so, we still get to see the photos, right?

Yeah, after finishing that one I did a cleaner one which I'll post photos of soon :D

Pmelius

Quote from: duck_arse on October 22, 2019, 10:05:46 AM
so, we still get to see the photos, right?

So yeah the little green board is the voice changer toy circuit, which is in series following the fuzz circuit, activated by a momentary footswitch. It needs to be driven to "work." It sounds horrible in a good way. Also I made the "snooz" button a momentary kill-switch by just making it short the output to ground when you step on it. It doesn't fully work all the time and I suspect that it will break easily, but it's kind of a cool glitchy kill switch for now. This dude Phil from NJ who taught me how to do this with these did something really weird with the snooz button that I never really figured out. Made it bring in feedback from the radio when engaged

PRR

> something really weird with the snooz button

I love it.

I've been to shows (not yours!) where I wished I could hit SNOOZ and nap a little longer.
  • SUPPORTER