Tayda Day amusement

Started by paul.creedy, November 13, 2019, 09:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

italianguy63

You can make your own custom tagboards pretty easily..

I picked up a sheet of material (sorry I can't remember the name), but it is like phenolic, but a little softer, and it bends a little bit...

Cut it to size--
Drill holes where you need them--
Populate the holes with brass eyelets (the same size as for leather working), 1/8" I think.

Easy to solder to the eyelets..

See pic:

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Sooner Boomer

Very nice idea, Mark.  Can you remember what the material for the board is?  The eyelets shouldn't be too hard to find.

Reminds my of a lot of the old TVs I used to work on.  Some (Curtis Mathis??) were wired point-to-point using tube sockets (without the tubes) as common wiring points.  Very well built, but difficult to repair/replace components.

This might be just the thing for a Rangemaster or treble booster build!
Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

italianguy63

Quote from: Sooner Boomer on November 15, 2019, 07:08:06 AM
Very nice idea, Mark.  Can you remember what the material for the board is?  The eyelets shouldn't be too hard to find.

Reminds my of a lot of the old TVs I used to work on.  Some (Curtis Mathis??) were wired point-to-point using tube sockets (without the tubes) as common wiring points.  Very well built, but difficult to repair/replace components.

This might be just the thing for a Rangemaster or treble booster build!

It has a name.. but I can't remember....

It is a variety of phenolic.  It may just be called phenolic.  If you look at the close-up of the pic... It has a nice woven texture to it (but it is smooth).  I picked it up at a surplus electronics place.... It has a little flex to it, not stiff like normal phenolic.  It probably is some mix of masonite and fiberglass or something.  I liked the good brown color because it looks really old-school.

Sorry I can't help.  Maybe someone else will know what the "brand name" of it is.

And, yeah, the eyelets and the tool to install them should be really easy.

Picture here is a DA Fuzz Face.  (Positive ground via voltage inverter).

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

duck_arse

You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

italianguy63

SpencerPedals

I believe Micarta is the word you're looking for

italianguy63

Quote from: SpencerPedals on November 15, 2019, 09:13:02 AM
I believe Micarta is the word you're looking for

You could be a winner.

Sausages.

MC

anotherjim

Strictly Paxolin is the SRBP it only contains paper. But I remember working with thick boards of stuff that clearly had woven fibre mesh within. Everybody called it Paxolin and I knew no other name for it - but obviously it wasn't.

bluebunny

Duck says "paxolin".  Bunny thinks this:

:icon_rolleyes:

As you were...
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on November 15, 2019, 11:17:05 AM
Duck says "paxolin".  Bunny thinks this:

:icon_rolleyes:

As you were...
Look at all of those guitar picks!  :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Sooner Boomer

Dan of  ̶9̶  only 5 Toes
I'm not getting older, I'm getting "vintage"

PRR

Formica kitchen counter laminate will work. Usually thin but you can contact-glue it double thickness. You can get it in AMAZING patterns, if you buy an 8-foot roll. You can get free samples but they are 1"x2".

At a slightly higher level than most pedals want, you can get turret-board and turrets used in tube amplifiers.
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/terminal_boards_strips
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/fiberboard-vulcanized-3-x-15-062-thick
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/terminal-strip-6-turrets-2-strips
etc
https://hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/catalog/parts12.htm
Hoffman's Glass epoxy board is TOUGH. I have used it to seal explosions and flames inside a high-current fusebox. While not specifically Approved For Purpose, I'm sure it is stronger than UL/NEC requires. It is perhaps over-kill even in a large amplifier, but it works good in the hand and does not need lots of support like older black-cardboard lugstrips did.
  • SUPPORTER

tubegeek

I like the tag terminals better than turrets actually, more versatility. I found some terminal strips with a similar type of hardware - lugs going up as well as horizontally - and they are very useful. You can route in both directions at the same time, makes for tidy layouts. Not that I am capable of a tidy layout, mind you.

Black cardboard - fibreboard - the worst.

When I was working for an A/V rental house we used to get road cases from a shop in the Garment District (NYC) that made them up from fibre board - I think they were used for salesman's samples? We used to use them for non-fragile stuff like mic cables and drapery. It was actually pretty tough for that purpose but I never understood why Fender stuck with it for so long for the amps. Must've been REALLY cheap and Leo must've not wanted to invest more than $50 in a tool to put the eyelets in.

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

mozz

• SUPPORTER