Popping in TS808 clone!?

Started by Paul Marossy, October 17, 2003, 10:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I built the TS-808 Tube Screamer off of GGG. It works great, except that I get a pop whenever I use the footswitch. I tried replacing the 4.7M resistor to ground at the input to a 1M, still get a pop. I am using a 3PDT switch. I more or less have it wired like JD shows it, just don't have the battery arrangement - I'm running it on an adapter only.
Should I try a 1M to ground on the output, too? Could a poorly filtered wall wart cause that? I get major hum with my Boss Chorus pedal using that same adpter.

casey

well, i dont know why it still is popping....seems as if you've done your
homework to keep that from happening....but it wouldnt hurt hooking
it up with a good adapter.  i prefer the danelectro adapters... they are
cheap ( 8 bucks ) and are hum free!  :D
Casey Campbell

RDV

Quote from: Paul MarossyI built the TS-808 Tube Screamer off of GGG. It works great, except that I get a pop whenever I use the footswitch. I tried replacing the 4.7M resistor to ground at the input to a 1M, still get a pop. I am using a 3PDT switch. I more or less have it wired like JD shows it, just don't have the battery arrangement - I'm running it on an adapter only.
Should I try a 1M to ground on the output, too? Could a poorly filtered wall wart cause that? I get major hum with my Boss Chorus pedal using that same adpter.
Definitely put one on the output also.

Regards

RDV

Mark Hammer

Popping comes about whenever there is a cap that has an opportunity to accumulate/store sharge but no opportunity to have that charge drain off.  The pop you hear when switching is like the pain yu feel when you've been holding it in for a long time and finally reach a "facility".  The audible pop is the sudden flow of current.  The high value resistor between input or output caps and ground is intended to allow charge to drain off  when the effect is bypassed while still maintaining an appropriate input/output impedance.

Paul Marossy

Added the 1M resistor at the output. Popping is gone now. First time I've had to put one on both the input and the output. Usually, I just put one on the input and it works fine. Anyhow, thanks for the second opinion(s).  8)

petemoore

I gotta put some pulldowns on the TS9 clone. It's got a pretty good pop to it every time I switch it either way.
 Pops dont bother me much, but for live use it's only 'professional' to keep unwated noises down as much as possible.
 Most of my pedals hardly pop at all with no pulldowns...the TS is wins the 'popamplitude' contest hands down.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.