Aion Refractor KTR (125b) quieter when bypassed (when using buffer)?

Started by spilla, November 12, 2019, 06:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spilla

Hey, i just finished building the Refractor (125b) from Aion, is it normal for the bypassed sound to be quieter when the buffer is selected? Im getting a louder bypassed sound when true bypass is selected. The bypassed sound (with the buffer selected) is weak in comparsion.

Cheers!

antonis

Welcome... :icon_biggrin:

Depending on your specific buffer, it might be normal..
(buffers always exhibit "some" loudness domination caused by less than unity voltage gain..)
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

spilla

Quote from: antonis on November 12, 2019, 06:56:58 AM
Welcome... :icon_biggrin:
Thanks!

Quote from: antonis on November 12, 2019, 06:56:58 AM
Depending on your specific buffer, it might be normal..
(buffers always exhibit "some" loudness domination caused by less than unity voltage gain..)

It is considerably quieter, to the point where i think there is a problem. However the pedal works, im getting an overdrive sound, all controls work as they should. Its just im not that confident everythings working/sounding as it should, as the bypassed sound is weaker/quieter when the buffer is selected. I was also expecting a bit more gain than what its producing. Guess is should start going through the debugging steps (first real pcb pedal i've made, i tend to use stripboard).

spilla

Kevin  from Aion confirmed that the pedal should be close if not at unity when the buffer is selected. Says i may have a wrong value near the input buffer (or possibly a cold solder joint). He also mentioned that that issue could also be causing the lack of gain aswell.

Im not well versed with schematics, could someone please point out what resistors i should be looking to replace according to this build doc.

From what i can tell i think R4, R22, R24, R25 and R28 could be the culprits? Is there anything else i should try to replace while im there?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiyxb45ccgsncdb/refractor_documentation.pdf?dl=1

Thanks!

spilla

Just an update, incase anyone else ever googles the same issue. Its working now. I replaced R1, R2, R3, R4, and C1. Im not sure what component was the trouble maker. Thanks bside2234 for showing me the right parts to replace.

Cheers!

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

spilla

I used the values from the build doc. So it seems Kevin was i correct, i must have put in a wrong value resistor by mistake (i almost positive it wasn't a cold solder joint)