Diode Clipping

Started by RamonRivera, December 10, 2019, 08:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxPower

The LPB1/LPB2 should also work. Just add the diodes on the output like the Electra.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Mark Hammer

Quote from: RamonRivera on December 16, 2019, 06:11:52 PM
Quote from: iainpunk on December 15, 2019, 08:55:45 PM
¨Electra distortion¨, its more of an overdrive than a distortion, but sounds good for how simple it is

Thanks this seems like a nice start, just a question if I change the 680r to a higher value that would give this circuit more distortion?
Actually, no.  In this design, the lower the value of the emitter resistor (the 680R in this instance), the higher the gain.
HOWEVER...you do not want to amplify DC voltage, only AC.  The simplest way of doing this, for a beginner, would be to run a 1k variable resistance in series with a 10uf to 22uf electrolytic capacitor, with the negative side of the cap going to ground.  That resistance/capacitor pair is then placed in parallel with the 680R resistor.

RamonRivera

How about a MXR D+ by making some mod to get fuller frequency response?

RamonRivera

What are some of the lowest forward voltage diodes, can anyone tell me?

Fancy Lime

1N5817 Schottky diodes start conducting low currents at around 0.2V and reach 0.45V drop at 1mA. That is the lowest of the commonly used and universally available ones that I am aware of.

Andy
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!