Tube Pin Corrosion Removal?

Started by vigilante397, December 10, 2019, 12:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vigilante397

Quote from: thetragichero on December 11, 2019, 05:45:35 PM
which types of "non-standard guitar tubes" you get?
besides stuff like 6sn7 (which are literally worth their weight in gold), a gander at some of the diy amp forums would show that one can design around a number of different audio tubes

Already got rid of the other ones. I didn't feel like sorting through the rest, so I found a non-guitarist DIY audio guy that took them. I'm at a point right now where I have too many amplifiers and not enough money (pretty common for me), I'm trying to get to a point where I have not enough amplifiers and too much money :P So I'm more concerned with selling tubes than I am with building things around them. I'm planning to go through and test everything, and from the ones that test good I'll pull a few to keep for my personal amp and as spares, and I plan to sell the rest.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Ben N

Late to the party again. I was going to suggest this, but simplicity wins.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: Ben N on December 12, 2019, 03:52:37 AM
I was going to suggest this, but simplicity wins.

Simplicity definitely did the trick this time. I was able to finish the last of the tubes last night and plan to dive into testing them tonight. The 9-pin socket on my tube tester has some loose pins so the tube has to be jiggled just right for a good measurement, so I'll probably swap that socket out before I begin testing.

Quick note though, the ink used by some brands so stamp their logo on the tube were affected such that rinsing them in water removed the logo and it came off like a waterslide on even the gentlest contact. It was kind of weird finding a letter 'E' sitting alone in the lemon juice bath. GE, Tung-Sol, Amperex, and Mullard seemed to be mostly affected by this, whereas the ink RCA used didn't seem to be affected. After they dried everything was fine and they could be handled like normal, but the ink didn't seem to like the acid. :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

amptramp

I believe that it was 1961 when the electronics standards changed to ensure tube markings would be removed by water to prevent people from cleaning up old tubes and selling them as new.  The counterfeit tube trade was going strong at the time.  Of course, professional counterfeiters scrubbed everything off the tube then used their own markings.  Electronic counterfeiting is not new.

Ben N

Nathan, did you try retensioning the pins with a small jeweler's screwdriver?
  • SUPPORTER

mozz

Quote from: amptramp on December 12, 2019, 05:55:09 PM
I believe that it was 1961 when the electronics standards changed to ensure tube markings would be removed by water to prevent people from cleaning up old tubes and selling them as new.  The counterfeit tube trade was going strong at the time.  Of course, professional counterfeiters scrubbed everything off the tube then used their own markings.  Electronic counterfeiting is not new.

Can't quite believe this, any references? Telefunken and others 50's will wipe off if you look at them wrong. Can't say I ever had a GE or Syl even in the 70's that was like that, except compactions.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

Quote from: Ben N on December 13, 2019, 08:33:42 AM
Nathan, did you try retensioning the pins with a small jeweler's screwdriver?

Not yet, though I was thinking about it. I'm supposed to be cleaning the garage instead of working on things, so naturally I'm having trouble finding tools :P I'll definitely try that before replacing the socket though. Would have done it tonight, but I accidentally built a Champ clone. I'm sure everyone knows how that goes  ::)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

tubegeek

Quote from: vigilante397 on December 14, 2019, 05:29:01 AMI accidentally built a Champ clone. I'm sure everyone knows how that goes  ::)
"I swear I didn't know that chassis punch was still sharp, your Honor!"
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

vigilante397

Quote from: tubegeek on December 14, 2019, 11:53:31 PM
"I swear I didn't know that chassis punch was still sharp, your Honor!"

Pretty much :P I was supposed to be cleaning the garage this week, and as I was going through it was "Oh, I forgot about this transformer," and "That's where that blank chassis went," and the next thing I know I have a Champ in an ugly old 1x8 combo ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

I have a strange feeling that someday this story will come full circle. Someone else will write a post about acquiring a bunch of cool parts from helping an old guy named Nathan clean out his garage after decades of procrastination.  :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

vigilante397

Quote from: EBK on December 15, 2019, 06:54:21 AM
I have a strange feeling that someday this story will come full circle. Someone else will write a post about acquiring a bunch of cool parts from helping an old guy named Nathan clean out his garage after decades of procrastination.  :icon_razz:

Yup, I could see that happening :P
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

tubegeek

Quote from: vigilante397 on December 15, 2019, 03:20:17 AM...the next thing I know I have a Champ in an ugly old 1x8 combo ;D

Yeah I just pulled out a mystery box yesterday, it had a Hammond organ amp, PP 6L6's, in it - boo yah! Totally forgot about it - I remembered the other one I had started taking apart but this one was a complete blast of surprise.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR