Vintage TS9 board/ground repair

Started by MarkB, December 13, 2019, 11:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkB

Hey folks.. been a while (I just looked.. about 8 years since I last posted here.. yay!).

I have an issue on which I wanted some input from this crowd.

I have a vintage TS9 (early 80s?) and recently went to use it and noticed the power jack pushed in.  Opened it up, and the board was cracked where it's held on by a single screw (also the grounding point).

This isn't mine, but it looks EXACTLY like the first picture here
http://sginanattic.blogspot.com/2015/04/tube-screamer-reissue-2015-ts9-cracked.html

He used some superglue.. I was thinking of trying to maybe solder a loop of wire to capture the screw.  Any other bright ideas?    There's enough there to make contact for grounding, but it comes loose after a few times plugging in the power.

Thanks!!

Kevin Mitchell

You should be able to find epoxy resin for PCB repairs.

Any photos of the break? If the power receptacle is a small individual PCB (like some boss pedals) I'd just make one up.
UPDATE: After looking at the linked photo again I see where the receptacal is. You'll definately want epoxy though the washer idea Mike suggests below is a good temporary solution. I just don't want anyone queuing the "Solder is not glue" thread  :icon_lol:

-KM
  • SUPPORTER
This hobby will be the deaf of me

GibsonGM

Solder or epoxy a small washer around the screw hole?  "5 minute epoxy" works great for things like that.

Or do like Kevin suggested...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

MarkB

yeah.. epoxy and a small washer may be the trick.. just have to make sure it doesn't touch anything else, as the pads around that screw are the main grounding point for the board (yeah, it's kind of a terrible design).

I'll crack mine open and snap a pic later, but it's pretty much identical to the link above.

willienillie

I like the solder-washer idea better than epoxy.

MarkB

I have some concerns about soldering a washer - as then it's really just solder holding the board in place.  I'm thinking of gluing a plastic washer to the back side of the board to hold it in place, then soldering a ring of wire on the trace side to make sure it's still got a good ground contact.

stallik

When I last repaired a board with a similar problem, I removed the power socket from the board, used a standard enclosure mount 9v socket on flying leads to the pub then made a simple bracket to secure the pcb .
My thought was to remove future stress on the pcb . As far as I know, it's still working
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein