What pot resistance value for this schematic?

Started by tykeenan, December 15, 2019, 08:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tykeenan

Hey guys,

First off, I should point out that I'm a complete noob and this is my first post :icon_mrgreen:

So I'd like to put an audio (log) pot with detents on this simple build (see schematic).
The smallest resistance value I could find on Mouser is 10k → https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RV16AF-10-15R1-A10K-3DLA?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtC25l1F4XBU6jsR%252BjhP3ZqOUa4qkEgA4V%252B9RF5ZCfDJA==
Would that be OK?

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

bushidov

Welcome to the forum, Tykeenan!

That looks like a Jack Orman MOSFET Booster, so if memory serves, I believe that is a 5K potentiometer. I cannot remember or not if that is a linear taper or an audio taper, but I want to say it's a linear.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

duck_arse

I think it is most often specced as reverse log, or "C" taper, to unbunch the gainy end response.

and welcome to the forum.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

tykeenan

Quote from: bushidov on December 15, 2019, 08:33:48 AM
Welcome to the forum, Tykeenan!

That looks like a Jack Orman MOSFET Booster, so if memory serves, I believe that is a 5K potentiometer. I cannot remember or not if that is a linear taper or an audio taper, but I want to say it's a linear.

Thanks for the quick response :D So given that I want a pot with detents in there, should I stick with the recommended 5k linear or would an audio taper have more perceptually even volume increments (keeping in mind that 10k is the closest to 5k I could find)??

Kipper4

Stephen recommended a C (anti-log) taper you could use the 10k pot but will need to put a 10k resistance in parallel with it or just see if you can find a C5k with detent.
Although the detents might miss the sweet spot, why bother the detents.

Welcome to the board buddy
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

iainpunk

usina audio taper but whith the first and third lug swapped also gives a C taper, but you have to turn the knob the wrong way for more gain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on December 15, 2019, 08:56:35 AM
I think it is most often specced as reverse log, or "C" taper,

Or "hill", or reverse "banana".. :icon_lol:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..