What pot resistance value for this schematic?

Started by tykeenan, December 15, 2019, 08:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tykeenan

Hey guys,

First off, I should point out that I'm a complete noob and this is my first post :icon_mrgreen:

So I'd like to put an audio (log) pot with detents on this simple build (see schematic).
The smallest resistance value I could find on Mouser is 10k → https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RV16AF-10-15R1-A10K-3DLA?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtC25l1F4XBU6jsR%252BjhP3ZqOUa4qkEgA4V%252B9RF5ZCfDJA==
Would that be OK?

Thanks in advance for your responses!!

bushidov

Welcome to the forum, Tykeenan!

That looks like a Jack Orman MOSFET Booster, so if memory serves, I believe that is a 5K potentiometer. I cannot remember or not if that is a linear taper or an audio taper, but I want to say it's a linear.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

duck_arse

I think it is most often specced as reverse log, or "C" taper, to unbunch the gainy end response.

and welcome to the forum.
don't make me draw another line.

tykeenan

Quote from: bushidov on December 15, 2019, 08:33:48 AM
Welcome to the forum, Tykeenan!

That looks like a Jack Orman MOSFET Booster, so if memory serves, I believe that is a 5K potentiometer. I cannot remember or not if that is a linear taper or an audio taper, but I want to say it's a linear.

Thanks for the quick response :D So given that I want a pot with detents in there, should I stick with the recommended 5k linear or would an audio taper have more perceptually even volume increments (keeping in mind that 10k is the closest to 5k I could find)??

Kipper4

Stephen recommended a C (anti-log) taper you could use the 10k pot but will need to put a 10k resistance in parallel with it or just see if you can find a C5k with detent.
Although the detents might miss the sweet spot, why bother the detents.

Welcome to the board buddy
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

iainpunk

usina audio taper but whith the first and third lug swapped also gives a C taper, but you have to turn the knob the wrong way for more gain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

antonis

Quote from: duck_arse on December 15, 2019, 08:56:35 AM
I think it is most often specced as reverse log, or "C" taper,

Or "hill", or reverse "banana".. :icon_lol:
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..