Author Topic: installed a true bypass 3pdt switch in a maxon od9 now popping  (Read 690 times)

dxjxrose

installed a true bypass 3pdt switch in a maxon od9 now popping
« on: December 19, 2019, 12:20:25 AM »
well i hated the stock switch so i wired in a 3pdt switch with the grounded input when on bypass and a 2m2 resistor as a pull down. unless i click the snot outa the switch like 15 times i get a pop when i switch on or off.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:38:45 AM by dxjxrose »

dxjxrose

Re: installed a true bypass 3pdt switch in a maxon od9 now popping
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 02:39:19 AM »
or is this what i want?

ElectricDruid

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 04:06:33 PM »
Edit: You mentioned this pedal before, right? It's got relay switching, you said?

There are lots of ways you could potentially connect things up wrong and get something popping. But if it was relays before and didn't pop, it should absolutely be possible to replace the relay with a switch and get no popping. That said, I'm not sure I see what the benefit is supposed to be, since both are metal-on-metal switching, so it's not like you're taking any FETs or CMOS switches out of the circuit or whatever.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 04:13:25 PM by ElectricDruid »
  • SUPPORTER

dxjxrose

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 12:00:12 AM »
After doing more research it had no relays had a odd mini 4pdt switch that was push on push release off and didnt work half the time. The 4th part of the og switch wasnt used so i used a 3pdt switch. Just want to know the best way to implement the pull down resistor

idy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 01:06:09 AM »
Both of the switch diagrams are probably ok. There is a whole check list for popping 3pdts, have you been through this before?

Have you read http://www.muzique.com/lab/pop.htm? That site is pure poetry.

Are you testing this thing all alone, just the guitar>pedal>amp? Pedal ventriloquism is a thing...

Sometimes "stuff" gets microphonic. I've seen switches like this, ceramic caps.... just a tap on the enclosure can send a "bang" down the line.

Check for voltage at PCB in and out. Power on, best if the switch is not hooked up or the pull down(s) are not present. If there is a voltage DC on in or out, you have a leaky cap. You may, if the voltage is small, try a smaller pull down resistor. Won't hurt anything to tack solder another (and another) in parallel.

You may try disconnecting the LED and testing the bypass.

dxjxrose

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 02:02:41 AM »
I have it narrowed down to the pull down resistor on the input to board side i just need to know the best way to implement the resistor... Should it be on the switch or on the board... I just need advice for that as i clipped a resistor from input on pcb to ground and the popping was equal to what it was stock and thats fine

bluebunny

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 04:10:15 AM »
I'd put it on the board.  If it's on the switch, depending on the wiring, it could become disconnected when you stomp - and that would defeat its purpose.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...