Korg is cutting into our turf

Started by Mark Hammer, January 15, 2020, 07:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacky

Quote from: tubegeek on January 15, 2020, 11:35:54 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on January 15, 2020, 09:44:42 PM
I guess it's for folks who want "the DIY experience" without the misery.
I thought the misery was the whole point?

I would just add one extra word, insecurity! That's how I feel went I hold the soldering gun (iron).

vigilante397

Back on topic though, I absolutely agree with the previously stated reasons for doing this. Kind of gets you a "Made in (whatever country you're in)" pedal, and Korg doesn't have to bother with testing for compliance, which I'm sure saves them time and money. The big question I'm having though, are they going to be selling this as a finished pedal as well, or is this "kit" the only way they're offering it? Because that makes the compliance testing argument even stronger.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

tubegeek

Quote from: blacky on January 16, 2020, 11:26:48 AM
I would just add one extra word, insecurity! That's how I feel went I hold the soldering gun (iron).

Hold the cold end. RESPECT the hot end. Welcome!
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

amptramp

This may be a way of avoiding FCC part 15 testing.  If they are selling an item as a set of parts, none of the parts on their own will generate interference.  The item shown appears to be exempt anyway because it is battery powered but I am not sure if it is exempt when it is powered by a wall wart supply.  As already said, the tax and duties on a kit of components may be more favourable than for a completed item.

The Lotus Super 7 / Caterham 7 started as kit cars for tax reasons and became the most recognizable Lotus design around.

aron

I want to hear that tube circuit. Anyone try it?

vigilante397

Quote from: aron on January 16, 2020, 01:44:25 PM

Sounds like there are demos on youtube, but my work computer doesn't like youtube so I haven't listened yet. I've been impressed by the NuTube stuff I've heard so far, but the pricetag (~$50 per tube) has prevented me from playing with them myself.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

digi2t

Quote from: tubegeek on January 16, 2020, 11:42:40 AM
Quote from: blacky on January 16, 2020, 11:26:48 AM

Hold the cold end. RESPECT the hot end. Welcome!

Must have been Korg's response to these folks....

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Mark Hammer

This is all I could find.

willienillie

^ Well we know it sounds pretty crappy through someone's car speakers.

blacky

Quote from: willienillie on January 16, 2020, 03:21:12 PM
^ Well we know it sounds pretty crappy through someone's car speakers.

I don't get why someone would bother putting stuff like that on the net. I mean the youtube video, not the Korg kit, although I feel like going to shop on ebay for real cheap pedal.

Rob Strand

QuoteI don't get why someone would bother putting stuff like that on the net. I mean the youtube video,
It could be worse, like unboxing videos or reaction videos ...

I wish there were re-boxing videos where you pack stuff up and send crap products back to the manufacturer.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

ljudsystem

DIY Bass

Joncaster

I think i'll stick to drilling slightly misaligned holes...

I have come to think that there is a definite line in the sand when it comes to DIY mentality.

Of the people I know and come into contact with, a small percentage are the "lets open this up, figure it out, fix it, then try build one" type.
That type of person isn't really divided into that many sub-categories (you're either of the DIY mindset or not, mostly)
The folks who want to build and create, want to do it on their own terms and have the benefit of saying "I built this"

The crowd that just want the stuff and want to send it in for repair when it breaks, selling/trading, they wouldn't even think of "hey, lets have at least a little bit of input in this thing, and build a little bit of it".
Those kinda people are more inclined to spec out custom work, get someone to make them just what they want and say "check out what I got built for me".

Generalized thoughts, I know...
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

anotherjim

I thought Korg were going to stick a nu-tube in everything - but the new SV-2 stage piano's tube drive is old fashioned 12AX7 based.

tubegeek

Quote from: Rob Strand on January 16, 2020, 10:31:18 PM
I wish there were re-boxing videos where you pack stuff up and send crap products back to the manufacturer.

That's hysterical! I love it!
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

PRR

Quote from: duck_arse on January 16, 2020, 08:32:32 AMcake! when did yellow become a cake type, besides the uranium kind?

Yellow Cake is butter and whole eggs.

White Cake is oil or lard and egg whites.

Martha Stewart's Yellow Cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour (spooned and leveled)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

(Yes, the stuff in the box is none of the above. Corn-sugar, flour, soy-oil, and yellow dye.) 
  • SUPPORTER

aron

Electron Tornado

Quote from: vigilante397 on January 16, 2020, 02:14:37 PM

Sounds like there are demos on youtube, but my work computer doesn't like youtube so I haven't listened yet. I've been impressed by the NuTube stuff I've heard so far, but the pricetag (~$50 per tube) has prevented me from playing with them myself.

Here's a couple of videos about the NuTube:

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

Steben

Buy a second hand pedal, tweak it. Done. 2000% more DIY than this.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them