First Pedal Build (Fuzz Face) Troubleshooting

Started by Mandelbrot, January 20, 2022, 12:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelbrot

I have been building my first pedal which is a Fuzz Face, and I have managed to put together the parts on a breadboard. But when I plugged it in to test it, there is a lot of hum, the fuzz knob doesn't really do anything, and the level knob doesn't work properly. Please see the short video to see exactly what I mean.

To build the pedal I followed the instructions on this page:
http://diy.smallbearelec.com/HowTos/BreadboardSiFF/BreadboardSiFF.htm

I have checked it over many times, and I don't see any mistakes in the circuit.

It would be so awesome if somebody on here who knows what they are doing could have a look and give me some suggestions as to where I have gone wrong.

idy

What transistors are you using? Do you know their pinout?

idy

cursory look it looks ok...if your non NPN transistors are pinout CBE. 2n type are EBC...

Mandelbrot

antonis

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

duck_arse

....... AND welcome to the forum.

this diagram from your fleabay link:

the pin marked 3 is the collector of a 2N2222(A) in a plastic package. pin marked 1 is emitter.

from my sore eyed squints, I'd say your transistors are in the breadboard backwards. please confirm.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Mandelbrot

Hey thanks you are right, now it works perfecty. You are awesome. I also had the output jack wired the wrong way round. Now I have to figure out how to convert it to perfboard and stick it in a box with a switch etc.

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Clayton Custom Cabs

Glad you got it fixed, I have wired diodes backwards and it took forever to figure out. I noticed you mentioned hum, I am sure you are aware but in the event maybe not, long wires/leads and breadboarding is inherently noisier than a circuit will be when trimmed up neatly and fitted into a box.
Congrats on your build.