MXR Micro Amp type Head Phone problems

Started by Clayton Custom Cabs, January 26, 2022, 09:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clayton Custom Cabs

I am fairly new to pedal building although I have now "assembled" over a dozen different DIY Kits from a few different suppliers. They are all working and sound good to me.

I decided to build my nephew a headphone amp so that he can practice his guitar without making his brother crazy. I purchased a kit styled after the captioned Micro Amp. I can't get it to work and it's making me crazy. I have become pretty good with the soldering iron and also with the desoldering that seems part of the process. And, I am never in a hurry so I actually test each resistor and each capacitor values before soldering them in their proper location observing polarity on the electrolytic types. I have been over the board and my soldering is well done, there are no broken traces and all of the components are installed in their appropriate locations. I even pulled the diodes and reversed them because I have put them in backwards on my first Klon Klone and it took days figuring out the mistake. I have also pulled the TL071 IC and replaced it with another that I know works. I have checked voltages and they seem reasonable and of course the LED's are lit. I am at this point wondering if it isn't one of the two transistors. There are two different types of transistors and they are also different in that one is NPN and the other is PNP and they appear to be wired in series.

Can anyone think of what is obvious that I am missing? Oh, and I have tested the guitar lead, the jacks and the headphones themselves everything works except my micro amp.
Thank you,
Rich

PRR

• SUPPORTER

idy

Yes, do please tell what you are talking about. The MXR Micro Amp I knew is a booster pedal with an '071, but no diodes or transistors...