Tranformer question for RG

Started by Aharon, October 17, 2003, 11:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aharon

RG,what's the best way to pull the lams out of the core if I'm trying to gap a transformer for SE use.
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon

Aharon

Just back to the top
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon

R.G.

This is the dirty, hard, frustrating part of rebuilding transformers.

I've always used and X-acto knife to separate the outer legs of the "E", then as much as possible to separate the tongue. Separating the tongue is the problem. It's stuck in place with the impregnating varnish in most cases, and is the very devil to get loose.You frequently have to destroy it - and ...delicately... NOT the rest of the bobbin and lams you're trying to save.

Pure perserverence and a delicate touch have always won for me. If you decide to destroy it, bend the back end of the E up where it goes into the tongue so you can get a grip with pliers, put the body into a vise so that you pull only on the single lam to come out, and pull while tapping on the free end with a flat blade screwdriver.

Once the first one is out, you can break the rest apart with the Xacto easily enough to get them to come free.

Throw away the lams you bend. You'll never get them straight enough to use again.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Aharon

Thanks RG,I will do as you suggest.
Aharon :)
Aharon