Lab Series compressor LED - change polarity?

Started by aion, February 13, 2020, 02:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aion

I'm working on a stripped-down version of the Lab Series preamp that uses a charge pump instead of the AC voltage multiplier.

Current requirements should be fairly low overall, but one thing I wanted to do in this version was to change the compression limit LED so it runs off of the +V rail instead of the -V rail. Here is the schematic -

(The LED is at the bottom, along with Q2 and Q3)

The -V rail is a lot less stable than the +V rail since it's generated by the charge pump, so I didn't want to stress that rail any more than necessary with an LED that would suck a few mA on a variable basis.

Is there an easy way to make the LED go from positive to ground instead of from ground to -V without significantly changing the actual compressor portion of the circuit?

PRR

With the 680r resistor it could be sucking 12mA, probably 11mA more than is needed. 10k instead may be ample light with far less load.

The next obvious step is a PNP transistor to switch current from the + rail. Since all the current in a '3080 is proportional to I(abc), you can tap at the + rail.

• SUPPORTER

aion

Quote from: PRR on February 13, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
The next obvious step is a PNP transistor to switch current from the + rail. Since all the current in a '3080 is proportional to I(abc), you can tap at the + rail.

I should have mentioned that I'm switching to the LM13700 for this version since there is another CA3080 earlier in the circuit, so I am guessing that trick would not work?

Could it be as simple as putting the CLR to +V instead of ground, and the Q5 emitter to ground instead of -V?

PRR

> Q5 emitter to ground instead of -V?

Draw it out.

No, because you are sensing voltage on Iabc relative to V-. Sensing from ground, Q5 won't come on.
  • SUPPORTER