Theoretical Wet/Dry rig idea.

Started by matt.dyck.music, February 22, 2020, 01:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt.dyck.music

Okay, so first off, I had this amazing dream where I was playing guitar and with my volume pedal all the way up I had my full lead tone, and as I had the pedal all the way down I had my full clean tone. Anywhere in between was a blend of the two.

So trying to figure out a way this would work, the only thing I could think of was a signal splitter; one directly into the expression pedal input 1, the other through gain pedals, then into input two. Output 1 would go through some delays and reverb for the clean tone and run to a clean amp. Output two would run into a dirty amp and then the effects loop through the other pedals that still have inputs (obviously can't run stereo through a non-stereo pedal).

I guess the splitter on the pedal could be bypassed by having an fx loop built in to one of the channels on the expression pedal.

The reason this is just staying theoretical is I'm not buying a second of the same amp I have just to switch between channels (I really love both channels on this amp). But if I were, is there already such a pedal in existence? Or does anyone have any other signal path/expression pedal ideas? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Like I said, it was in a dream, and I figured I would document it before it's forgotten.

matt.dyck.music

Oh, and being that this is a DIY site, does this pedal idea seem like something that would be easy to build or to modify an existing pedal to do? It seems simple enough in my brain, but I'm sure I overlook things.

PRR

> I'm not buying a second of the same amp I have

What is this amp? Is it DIY-friendly? It may be possible to replace the switch with a cross-fade.
  • SUPPORTER

MaxPower

Duct tape two volume pedals together (one for each channel) wired to work in opposite ways; one increases the volume as the other lowers it.

That sort of thing?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

skyled

Maybe the Ernie Ball Stereo Volume/Pan pedal?

vigilante397

Stereo volume pedal with one pot wired backwards (probably need a reverse log pot) and a simple mixer circuit on the end.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

DIY Bass

Sounds like the kind of wiring for a bass guitar blend pot

matt.dyck.music

Interesting. For some reason I never even thought of modifying the amp. It's a Traynor YCV-80, has a Fender-like clean channel and the lead channel (which always has the boost on) gets a nice violin-like smooth sound. Thanks for chiming in everyone, always good to take a look at something through the perspective of others.

Eb7+9

if you're not too fussy on the sweep profile then opto-couplers operating in anti-phase can do the trick ...

Ben N

As noted above, An Ernie Ball 6165 really takes care of it for you, but for best performance/lowest noise, you want to put a splitter ahead of your two signal chains and the vol/pan as far down the chains as possible, so all your noise generating pedals are ahead of the vol/pan. I once did exactly this, using a Boss LS-2 or a Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus as the splitter and a Sansamp G2 as my dirty preamp, outputs to a couple of Deluxe size amps, but if I were doing this today I'd roll my own buffered splitter (plenty of DIY options). Anything you want to use on both channels goes either north of the splitter (say, a compressor or an old-school vibe) or in the FX loop (delays, etc.). Any channel specific effects go between the splitter and the appropriate input on the vol/pan. A fun trick is to put a delay on an ambient delay setting on one channel after the vol/pan but ahead of the amp, which lets you lay down a pad, then play over it on the other channel without disturbing the pad, which keeps on ringing.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Quote from: PRR on February 22, 2020, 08:17:45 PMWhat is this amp? Is it DIY-friendly? It may be possible to replace the switch with a cross-fade.

Nevermind.
QuoteJust got a YCV80 on the bench.  These just may be the toughest amps to work on. Multiple circuit boards piled on top of each other and a chassis the clam shells with the iron on one half and the guts on the other all connected together. link
The schematic makes my eyes hurt even before looking in the chassis.
  • SUPPORTER