big muff tone bypass with SPDT?

Started by Dimitree, February 17, 2020, 07:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

I'm wondering if it is possible to implement the tone bypass switching on the Big Muff using a SPDT instead of DPDT.
The reason is I'd like to control two big muff circuits (in the same enclosure) with a "global" tone bypass, so if I use a DPDT, each pole will be dedicated to one circuit.
I'd like to avoid relays or electronic switches, or 4PDT, so if it's not possible, I will just use a pair of DPDT.
I found this:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/tbypass.htm
but I'm not sure it will give the same sonic result as the classic tone bypass switching

anotherjim

The AMZ method will work. There can still be some tone effect when the ground connection is switched off - only because there is some load impedance into the following stage and that makes the relatively low-value series cap in the tone network into a high pass filter. If the tone pot is set toward the low-pass (bass) end, the effect of the series cap is minimised. (I'm really only rewriting what the AMZ article said!)

If the stage after the tone pot had a higher input impedance than the normal transistor stage ( an opamp or FET buffer stage), then the effect of the treble cap when bypassed that way would be negligible since the high-pass filter would start at a lower frequency (below guitar lowest note) effectively becoming an all-pass filter.

Elijah-Baley

I tried the AMZ tone bypass in a Big Muff schematic with my emulator, and actually, it's not a real bypass because the Tone pot makes, indeed, something. I get a slightly difference in the bass frequency between the Tone pot at min and at max. (Of course if you bypass the tone you get more volume.)

If you don't care how much the Tone pot changes the tone when it's "bypassed" you could like it. Maybe you might find that with this bypass method your ears can't hear a real changing in the tone turning the Tone pot, even if the math says it does.

Let us to know about this bypass if you try.
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

GGBB

This is probably more neutral and is not affected by the tone knob position:

• SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

This Tone bypass seems to work a bit better. The Tone pot still do something, but it makes just a really bit action.
Good! ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel