Today's "what's that PCB?" challenge

Started by Mark Hammer, February 17, 2020, 03:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Etched a bunch today, and the leftover piece of copper board was a perfect fit for this toner-transfer pattern, so I etched it, thinking that it would likely be useful.  But I'm stumped for what it is.  I am guessing that it may be a simple 8-step sequencer, based on the 8 identical sets of pads along the lower edge, and the 14 and 16-pin IC pads that look like they are probably CMOS or TTL of some sort, given the number of unused pins.  Alternatively, it could be a switcher of some sort, and the 8 identical sets of pads are for a relay board?

I'm stumped.  Too dang many files to sift through.  The layouts that are GIFs, JPGs, and PNGs are easy to sift through, because I can see them all at a glance.  It's the layouts embedded in PDF articles that would take a week to sift through.

So, does this ring a bell for anyone?  Note that there are a few incomplete pads, such as the ones in the upper right that look like a big stylized "3".  I'm relying on the enthusiasm some of you seem to have for these little guessing games.

digi2t

Someone needs to develop a recognition app that identifies PCB layouts for you. FFS, we can identify a song with a snippet of music, or a face from a picture, but we're still stuck trying to figure out what you etched 12 years ago. :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

EBK

What's up with that weird square hanging off of pin 2 of the lefthand IC?  It doesn't seem to have a match that would indicate a part goes there, and it doesn't look like a test point.  Looks like someone routed it by taking three lefts instead of a right.  Actually, there are a whole lot of unique things going on in that layout.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

EBK

From my sleuthing, I believe it is a Vanishing Point sequenced wah by TheToneGod.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/6933512/Vanishing-point-V2-1and-add-on-effects

Perhaps someone else can find a better link.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Quote from: digi2t on February 18, 2020, 03:39:39 PM
Someone needs to develop a recognition app that identifies PCB layouts for you. FFS, we can identify a song with a snippet of music, or a face from a picture, but we're still stuck trying to figure out what you etched 12 years ago. :icon_lol:

Seems we don't need to. We've got an EBK ;)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bluebunny

:icon_eek: Wow! I think Eric just won the Internet for this week!
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

anotherjim

It's proven then - but at first sight, it really does look like a synth module pcb. Did it start out as one or is it long & thin to fit in the long side of a wah enclosure?

digi2t

Quote from: stallik on February 18, 2020, 04:19:43 PM
Quote from: digi2t on February 18, 2020, 03:39:39 PM

Seems we don't need to. We've got an EBK ;)

• SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Mark Hammer

I am profoundly impressed.  I was in the mood for a simple and adaptable 8-step sequencer, using chips I had, and by sheer dumb luck etched exactly what I needed.

Turns out I have all the related files, but stored them in a directory I didn't think to look in.

But wow....what a guess!  My eternal gratitude.

EBK

I'm happy to have helped.  :icon_cool:

Your 8-step sequencer guess in your original post got me very close.  While following that lead (Googled: 8 step sequencer layout), I saw a vero layout for the Vanishing Point that looked like it had the same parts.  Then, a search for a PCB layout yielded the answer.
  • SUPPORTER

Rob Strand

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Slowpoke101

Quote from: EBK on February 18, 2020, 08:19:38 PM
I'm happy to have helped.  :icon_cool:

Your 8-step sequencer guess in your original post got me very close.  While following that lead (Googled: 8 step sequencer layout), I saw a vero layout for the Vanishing Point that looked like it had the same parts.  Then, a search for a PCB layout yielded the answer.

Jedi Master, I bow before you.....Absolute genius.

Also to Rob; Mr Burns..One of my most favourite characters along with Professor Farnsworth and Doctor Gregory House. Indeed a most apt response to EBK's phenomenal effort.

• SUPPORTER

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Mark Hammer

I know.  It looks like a "3" but it's a round and square pad where the toner decided to stay on the photo paper, rather than the copper.

Of late, I've been wiping down the buffed copper with alcohol before attempting to iron on toner patterns.  I find I get much better adhesion of the toner to the copper than way.  The fine steel wool may make it look shiny, but still leave residue that impedes adhesion.  Actually, a pretty decent etch for thick photo paper and well-used etchant, although midway along the top you can see a second pad that should have been round but came out as a crescent.

tubegeek

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 20, 2020, 10:48:11 AM
I know.  It looks like a "3"

Next to a Spinning Beachball Of Death: that PCB must be for a Mac?
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

garcho

Yeah, I definitely recognize pads getting messed up during the toner transfer from my own experiences etching PCBs. I was more curious about said Beachball of Death.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Rob Strand

QuoteAlso to Rob; Mr Burns..One of my most favourite characters along with Professor Farnsworth and Doctor Gregory House. Indeed a most apt response to EBK's phenomenal effort.
An amazing effort indeed.

When I was a kid there were so many cartoons where the bad guys would say Eeexceeellent in *that* voice.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.