Help with ABY Pedal w/ built-in Piezo Preamp

Started by tennisturkey, August 18, 2020, 11:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennisturkey

Hello y'all, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm attempting to make an ABY box for my recording setup, but want to put a twist on it by adding a Piezo Preamp into the B channel to keep from having to pay $$$ for one to go inside my guitar since I'll likely be using it in my 335 style guitar or tele so space issues/not enough space.

If I was to do this, I can solder (Splice) the mini-Jack (2.5mm) straight to the 1/4 in female jack output and into the preamp or are the extra steps I'm missing?

Just for basic idea as I don't have a schematic or illustration atm. outside of basic soldering (i.e. guitar pots and such I'm pretty new to this type of stuff outside of basics from school I barely recall from 3 yr ago lol)

Tip       |--> A (magnetic) --> Mono Out --> amp
Stereo IN |
               Sleeve |--> B (Piezo) -2.5mm jack -> Preamp -> Mono Out from Preamp --> Mixer/PA

Thanks guys!
-Duncan

11-90-an

Hi and welcome to da forum... :icon_biggrin:

Are you still gonna add switches to this?

For your preamp, you could use this:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/04/acoustic-piezo-preamp.html
flip flop flip flop flip

tennisturkey

Hey,
MY plan was to have a switch for A/B and a switch for Y (A+B)

I think have a schematic decently designed but to be sure, will this pedal work as AA (Mag) and BB (piezo) and Y (A+B) or will I need some sort of splitter? I had just been looking at that, but I think I'm going to just chop up a cheap amazon pre-amp for the sake of experimenting.

I feel like the way I have it drawn I'll have no BB signal just the tip switching between A and B. (if that makes sense)

tennisturkey

This is the schematic I roughly drew up, the more I look the more it's definitely missing the ring connection for the B, but not sure where to go with that

11-90-an

Why would you need a ring connection for B? I thought it is mono... :icon_biggrin:

Good that you drew that schem...
Found this on the internet... redrew it for your piezo preamp... you could use it as a clearer reference... ;)

Do you have any components at hand? (I.e. capacitors, resistors, transistors etc.)
flip flop flip flop flip

tennisturkey

Thanks!

Unfortunately not at the moment, few things getting restocked friday, so I'll order it all then.

Ah I see didn't communicate that well, It should be stereo, so that I can switch between my Mag and Piezo through a TRS cable. both of the outputs would be mono. if you get what I'm saying.

Just incase I didn't make sense originally, I'm looking for something I can make the Tip Mag (A) and the Ring Piezo (B) then combine them together.

tennisturkey

Hi guys, bumping this thread with my new design.
Anyone know why there wouldn't be output from the preamp side?
Thanks!

11-90-an

Maybe wired the piezo preamp on reverse? Did you power the preamp? Sorry if it sounds too obvious, but I just wanna be sure...  :icon_biggrin:

Pictures or what you built? Might be a loose connection... etc.
flip flop flip flop flip

tennisturkey

I can take some when I get home this evening. I think the wiring is okay as far as I remember.
So.... I do have the 9V in the preamp, and the power is connected with the input to the pot at the moment as they were both connected to the original jack. should is be connected to the input jack instead? (that might be the dumbest problem ever..)